CHAPTER 41 - Ibaraki Shenanigans

Meanwhile, at the highway race, the racers seem to have maintained a consistent form, with multiple overtaking attempts, but the standings remained the same.

"Now with Emika entering Ibaraki prefecture, all contenders just need to move a little further until they pass the baton to the touge racers. Chiya and Ichika are pushing their effort to get ahead of Ren, and Maeka and Kaede are still brawling on the front line," Raika briefed the situation.

Livestream shifted to Maeka and Kaede, "And OOOOH! They are close to getting off the highway at Tsuchiura!"

Straight as long as a python gripped both of them. Maeka relaxed the gas pedal, leaving her Diablo cruising at 260 km/h. A perfect chance for Kaede's Fairlady with highest gear and engine breaking the redline to pass, which FROOOOOO! He did.

"Goodness, finally!" Kaede kept his foot and eyes intact, ignoring the condition which his car endured. The car could endure it well, but he had been keeping the car in that state for a long time. About 30 minutes. I was afraid the engine might-

BOOOM!

SSKRRRRRT!

THUMP!

KABOOOOM!

I got it right.

Smoke started to come out of Kaede's hood, shrouding his car like it just got smoked by a fogging machine. Oil splatters, covering up his windshield. Various parts started falling off the car from the bottom.

"WOAH WOAH WOAH, WHAT THE HELL?!" Kaede frantically reaches for his windshield wipers and slams on the brakes.

"See that, Ichika? Spectacular explosion!" Chiya cheered.

"Poor guy probably hasn't even broken in that engine yet." Ichika chuckled.

"Ohoho! Would you look at that folks! What an unexpected turn of events! The engine of 2-Door Sweeper's ace highway racer has been blown! I pity that engine and Kaede's wallet!" Raika announced to the crowd. A mix of cheers and jeers filled the chat room.

"All that money... and now I get this crap?!" Kaede smacked the steering wheel of his smoking Fairlady.

"Sigh... Seems like plan B is necessary. I hope Ichigo is doing her job."

What a plot twist! The race standings are currently:

1st - Shirasagi Maeka / Lamborghini Diablo SV

2nd - Shinomiya Ren / Mercedes-Benz S600

3rd - Tamade Chiya / Shelby GT500 Super Snake

4th - Hoshino Ichika / RUF CTR2

5th - Hoshikuzu Emika / Porsche 911 GT2 RS

DNF - Shirasagi Kaede / Nissan Fairlady Z (RZ34)

"See, I told you, it's bound to happen, Maeka." Chiya relayed the info.