CHAPTER 40 - Route C2 to 6

All the racers took a turn approaching the Kasai JCT, and the battle continues along the Naka river, with Maeka still in the lead.

"Would you look at that?! Shadow Hounds' Shirasagi Maeka is leading the race with grace! Such a beautiful car, too! Stay tuned people, because we're not even halfway yet! Things are only going to get interesting! The race continues!" Raika announced over the stream.

Ichika signalled urgency through a radio wave, "Chiya, we need a plan. We need to gain some positions!"

"Just keep tailing that GT2, Ichika. What's important is consistency right now. We will strike when we get out of the expressway."

"But that's like, still a bajillion kilometers away!"

Meanwhile...

"Ugh, since when did she get that good at driving?! But no matter, this perfect machine of mine will reign victorious. It is tuned by the famous top secret, after all." Kaede tried to assure himself his victory. He pressed on the gas pedal further, in an effort to overtake Maeka. Maeka's foot was still deep on the pedal, with the speedometer reading 270 km/h and the RPM on 7500. The V12 screamed as if it was singing an Opera.

In the middle of her focus, Maeka received a message from Achilles on the intercom. "Easy there, Maeka. The engine parts are starting to heat up real quick. Especially that flywheel... Shift up to a higher gear and keep the RPM stable at around 5000. This is an marathon, not a sprint. Be careful."

"For real?! But... I need to stay in first!" She agitated.

"Listen to him, Maeka. Trust me, conserving the engine is better in the long run. You don't want your engine to fail before his does." Chiya advised.

"And besides, it will conserve your fuel as well!" Ichika added.

PSSSH! Clthuck! WROOOOOOOOO! Maeka obeyed his order. She sacrificed its increase in speed to cool the engine down. That left her in second after the Z34 peaked its top speed before Katsushika Harp Bridge.

Maeka asked Achilles, "Do you know when I should push again? I'm in second position now."

"Do it when there's a corner around. The Diablo has incredible grip from its immense downforce, so while others have to slow down a bit, you can turn and accelerate at the same time."

"That will take a while. A noticeable corner is kilometers away..."

Meanwhile, the top three from the bottom had passed Horikiri JCT, and on to Route 6. Ichika was drafting on Emika while Chiya was doing the same on Ichika.

"I'm almost reaching top speed now and I still don't have the right moment to pass this Porsche. We're in a long straight in Adachi!" Ichika reported.

"Long straight? That's an opportunity." Chiya acknowledged..

Whiiing!

Chiya unleashed a power that everyone fears the most. An eighth gear. A tier of gear which enables a potential to go beyond comprehensible top speed. Her speedometer gradually increased, two kilometers per second. One from the car, and one from the draft.