Chapter 36: "I'll be waiting for you"!

Todoroki POV:
I watched as Katsuki and Izuku got smaller and smaller until they entirely disappeared into the distance. Just a couple days and I would be able to see them again. No reason to start missing them already. Izuku is going to be fine and Katsuki will come back to get me. Everything will work out. No worries.

I checked one last time to make sure I didn't leave anything behind and grabbed both backpacks. I needed to find shelter strong enough to keep me save from falling stones, dry enough in case it would rain again and close enough so Katsuki and I would be able to find each other once he returned. I started walking. I knew it was going to be hard to find a shelter like that and because of that I had no time to slack. The sun stood at the middle of the sky and even though it shined bright and hot it was still a rather chilly day.

It took a little bit of walking until I found an opening in the mountain wall. It wasn't very big but it seemed deep enough for me to crawl inside. I put down the backpacks. Then I had a look inside the hole. It seemed pretty empty except some stones. I got all of them out and placed my bedroll in a way that I wouldn't have to sit on the hard, cold ground. Then I crawled in. I could barely sit up straight. I closed off the opening with the two bags and lit one of the lanterns we brought with us.

I only sat there for a couple of minutes and the cold stone walls already made it hard for me to keep warm. All three of us hadn't had anything to eat since we left the restaurant. And in all that excitement to see each other again and Izuku running off without giving us a chance to prepare, we weren't able o pack anything to eat either. It must have been about a day without food now.
Because sitting up straight was hurting my ribs and staying awake just made me realise how low the chance of me surviving was, I decided to lay down and try to get some rest. Even the thick bedroll wasn't much warmer but I hoped it would warm up if I just laid there for a little while.

Bakugo POV:
The sun started setting. It was getting colder and colder but the overheating nerd on my back held me warm enough to keep going. I made even less breaks than before. I needed to be back as soon as possible. I couldn't risk IcyHot being out there for longer than necessary. And it wasn't like Deku stoped getting worse either. If that shitty nerd could just wake up and tell me he's alright. I wouldn't believe him out of obvious reasons but it would probable give me at least a little bit of hope right now. The cold air made my lungs burn with every breath I took. It got harder and harder to see the path ahead. I stoped for a moment. My heavy breathing got me out of my rhythm and I couldn't afford to hurt myself because I tripped or twisted my ankle. I sat down for a moment to catch my breath. My back was aching like hell. Why was that shitty nerd so incredibly heavy. It felt like he got heavier every minute I carried him. In that moment a thought came to my head. I looked through the bag on my chest. Ha! I knew we packed some lanterns! Alright let's keep going. I lit the wick. It would have been practical if Deku could hold the light for me but he had to be sleeping so I needed to carry it while making sure he doesn't slip from by back somehow.

I concentrated on walking so much that hours passed like minutes. Before I knew it the sun stated rising again. And once I've realised how long I have been walking for I also realised how tired I was. That made it significantly harder to concentrate. But I had no time to rest now.
I looked up. I froze. There it was. The edge. The top. The end of endless stairs. Not more than a couple more meters. Not a singe kilometre left. A weight fell off my chest. One last push. Just a little bit further. I started walking again. Faster than before. Nearly running. 15 more steps. 10. C'mon the last five. As my head reached over the edge bright light blended me. I made it. I was at the top. I looked around. I couldn't believe what I saw. Huge farms. Further than the eye could see. And next to it houses. People. My fear that after the stairs I would have to keep walking vanished. Exhaustion hit me. The adrenaline wore off. I fell to my knees. People immediately noticed us and ran to our aid. "You see that Deku? We made it..." And then I closed my eyes.

Todoroki POV:
I opened my eyes. It was pitch black. The lantern had gone out. Every bone was aching and I was freezing . On top of that I didn't know what time it was. I should probable go out and check. Make sure Bakugo doesn't pass by me. Nah, he probable didn't make it back down just yet. I should probable get up and move my muscles either way though. It felt like I was more tired than I had been before I fell asleep. I pushed the backpacks out of the opening and slowly crawled out. The sun was up. Was it the same day? No the sun was lower then before. It was the next day. I couldn't get my legs to carry me so I just sat the for a little bit.
"I wonder how long it takes for him to come back... I hope they are alright." All of a sudden I felt lonely. I never felt this lonely before. Before we landed here I was used to it. I didn't mind being alone. It never felt lonely. Is that what it feels like being not only in love but loved by someone else just as much. If I could have wished for one thing right then. I would have wished for them to be right next to me. For Izuku and Katsuki to hold me. For them to warm me up. Now I felt even colder than I already did. He'll be back. I know he will.

I pulled out a water bottle and drank it empty in hopes filling my belly would help my huger. Then I crawled back into the hole and tried to sleep for just a little bit longer. The next time I woke up it was because someone was calling for me. "IcyHot?!" "Half n' half!" It was weird. I knew only Katsuki and Izuku knew these names and even though It was multiple people calling for me I knew it wasn't them. I decided to check it out anyways. The voices sounded close. As soon as I got out someone spottet me. "Are you IcyHot?!" It was a middle aged man. Richt behind him someone else came running.
"Did you find something?- Oh! You must be the guy we are looking for. Your friend send us."
"More like he tried to go himself but wouldn't have made it. It truly was hard to convince him to let us go instead."
"If you ask me it didn't work. The only reason he didn't go himself was because Terry wouldn't let him."
"It truly is expressive how even Terry had problems against a beyond exhausted young boy."
"Haha, you're right. But now back to you! We came to get you to safety."
Yeah, that sure sounded like Katsuki. I smiled. They made it. Then my vision went black. "Hey boy! You good...?" And the voices got quieter.

To be continued ...