Chapter 52: "Be back soon!"

Midoriya POV:
I smiled as I heard a purr coming from the two fur balls on my lap. Orange and Spots fur was so soft, I couldn't stop petting them. I looked up and took a peak out the window. My smile vanished. "Shouldn't they be back by now?" I asked but Grizzled Fin just shrugged and continued cleaning dishes. "What if they got caught up in the storm?" "It passed by the harbour, so as long as they didn't go out too far they should have been able to avoid it?" he said. "What if not?" He sighed. "Just be patient. If they won't be back by tomorrow morning we go look for them." "Tomorrow?!" "That's what I said yes." My leg bounced up and down. I couldn't stop thinking about all the worst case scenarios. What if- "Sit still will ya?!" I flinched. "Sorry" I mumbled. I took another glimpse outside. The bad weather seemed to have finally passed by. Instead of dark clouds, the sky was now covered in an orange pink colour and a bright, red ball slowly started disappearing behind the horizon. I couldn't wait any longer. I picked up spots and laid them down on the sofa next to me. Orange jumped of their own and I made my way to the door. "Where're ya goin' kid?" "I'm going to search for them." "I told you-" "We can look tomorrow all you want but right now I'm not able to sleep without them anyway. So I'll be heading out." Then I left. Fin quickly grabbed his jacket and followed me.

We strolled along the harbour, checking every jetty there was. But no sight of either Kacchan or Shoto. I knew something must have been going on. There was no way the storm hadn't caught up with their boat. Somewhere they must have stranded or maybe they even sunk to the deep ground of the ocean. What if they were already dead? We couldn't waste another second. We had to find them right away.
I looked out at the open sea. As I scanned the surface of the water, I suddenly noticed a floating wooden plank. My heart dropped. I let myself fall to the ground like a wet sack of potatoes. All hope vanished and instead a million thoughts rushed through my mind, trying to prove that this wasn't what it looked like. That it was someone else's boat. Or a box that had fallen off a jetty. I couldn't move. I couldn't shout for their names once more or even shed a tear. I just sat there, staring at the piece of wood peacefully floating on the stars reflecting surface. The ocean was silent, barely a wave, making it hard to believe that a storm had just run through here. "C'mon kid. Let's have another look tomorrow... We won't find them in this light anyway." Fin gently grabbed my arm pulling me back on my feet. There was no way we could just leave. We had to keep looking! But those words didn't escape my mouth. I just let myself be dragged along. Far away from all I was looking for.

The rest of the night I stayed awake. All I did was keep an eye on the door, knowing either the handle would move or there would be a knock. Any second now. Just a little bit longer and they'll show up. Not much longer. Here they come. Just wait. I know they will. Did the handle just move? Must be seeing things. I hear Kacchan shouting from afar! ... Must've been the wind. I recognised Shotos food steps! And there a shadow passing by the window! They're home! I know they are! No, of course they are! "Wow, you really scared me there for a sec! What a silly thought am I right? Kacchan, there's just no way you could be beaten by something as simple as that! ... C'mon guys stop playing tricks. Come through the door already... Cause y-you wouldn't- ... because there's just no way- ... You would want to scare me any further would you? So just knock on the door. Open it already! ...Please? *sniff* Loves? ... You there?" But they kept silent. Not making another sound. I waited for another minute. Then I jumped up off my feet and ran to the door. And when I opened it with a smile, expecting them to start laughing at me for worrying so much, they ... weren't there. Just a dark jetty. Nothing else. Brace yourself. Here they come... they'll be jumping out of a corner any moment trying to scare you. But you're prepared. Theres no way Kacchan and Shoto can get you this time. HA! Sorry guys but this won't work... I was so sure of it. I knew they were back. But the longer I waited the sooner I would come to the realisation that they wouldn't come. Not now, not tomorrow. The thought of them being dead was so surreal I just told myself over and over again that I had become too much of a drag. Yeah, that must be it! They got sick of having to carry me around. I'm a crybaby they finally had enough of my whining. They found a way out and didn't waste another second. OF COURSE! The storm, it came out of nowhere and left into nowhere. It must have been caused by some kind of portal back to the real world. Ahhhh, now it all makes sense. They're fine! Probable already catching up with the others. "Haha, what a relief! No need to worry my stupid little head any further. Just ... go back inside. Get some sleep. You can take care of the rest tomorrow... C'mon move your ass. Wha- Stop crying! What are you doing? You should be happy! Shoto and Kacchan are save! ...Stop talking such nonsense. There is no way either of them is weak enough to keel over and die like that. *chuckle* Geez, why won't these water drains stop- *sob* stop flowing."

To be continued ...