Chapter 29: The Thirsty Griffin Pub!

Todoroki POV:
The warm water felt nice on my skin. My muscles had a chance to relax and I even dosed off for a couple of minutes while taking a bath. When I got out I started cleaning my clothes and hanging them up next to the old heating stove. I've never cleaned with a washing board before so I hoped they got clean. I had learned that the man who took me in was called Magnus Ironheart. He was the owner of the bar below the apartment and went downstairs after greeting me to serve his costumers and to give me time to sort myself. I put on some clothes he lend me and went down the stairs. The pub was relatively full. I walked over to the bar. "There you are, kid" Magnus greeted me friendly. "Sorry, the pub is quite full right now can we talk later?" He asked. "Sure, can I help?" "If your willing to do so for free." The way he said that sounded like he meant something like 'No, because I can't afford you'. "Would me helping out and a gold coin be enough to pay for the bed and care?" I replied. "Huh? You don't have to pay me at all. I was just trying to help a young boy like you. But if you were to insist waiting tables for the night would be more then enough." "Great! Anything important I need to know?" Magnus hesitated. He seemed surprised. Then he smiled "Well just wear this apron and wait for someone to call you over. Take their order and write it down. Then give it to me and collect the empty glasses. Once a table is free clean it off and lead a new customer to it. Here is the menu. If they for example ask what bear we have just read it out from the list. If people want to check out and pay send them over to the bar. I'll be here at all times. If there is any problem like drunks disrespecting you or other customers call me over and I'll take care of it. Try to avoid any fights breaking out or dishes and furniture breaking. But if it happens don't be upset about it. It happens all the time." I nodded then started working. After an hour I pretty much new the menu by heart. Once in a while Magnus asked me to open the door so fresh air could enter. Then he asked me to close it again because it was getting too cold. Every free minute I had I cleaned some dishes and stoped once I was needed. Some customers stayed for one drink, others for a couple hours and some for the entire night. I kind of enjoyed working there and Magnus seemed glad to have someone helping out as well.

Slowly the pub got more and more empty until barely any new people entered anymore. "Come here." I sat down on one of the chairs at the bar. "So" Magnus said "Tell me, where's your fire and how can I help?" I told him about us three arriving here and everything that happened until the point we split up and when we were suppose to meet up again. We kept talking for a little while longer. We came to the point where I asked him about how he came to opening this pub.

Magnus: "Oh this pub? I wasn't actually the one who opened it. My wife's father did."
I: "Your Wife?"
M: "Yeah! I wish you could meet her. She is the most beautiful and kind women on this planet!"
I: "Where is she right now?"
M: "She doesn't live in this town anymore."
He looked sad.
I: "Is it okay for me to ask why?"
He hesitated.
M: "It's a bit of a story..."
I: "If you don't mind telling it, I'd be happy to listen!"
M: "Fine"
He smiled warmly.
M: "I met my wife 19 years ago. Back then I was 18 and a rebellious teenager. My parents had quit the job taking care of me. I used to sneak out at night and empty the alcohol of all the local pubs. Because I couldn't pay though I had to wash tons of dishes before being 'kicked out for eternity'. At some point it got hard to find places I was still allowed to drink in. Especially because slowly but surely every bartender had heard of me. But then one night I stumbled into this beauty of a pub. And that's when I saw my Vivi for the first time. Vivienne Rosewood. What a breathtaking women! She had wild brown hair tied up in a messy bun. Freckles so many it would take me days to count. They were all over her face and arms... her entire body in fact. She had both ears full with piercings, arms full with bracelets, fingers full with rings and a thin necklace with a big pendant around her neck. She wore a big skirt with a tight top and elegant shoes. Everything with colourful patterns. But in that moment all I could see where her big maroon eyes with dark green sprinkles looking directly at me and her unbothered smile so bright I could see her teeth. I was already captured by her appearance but once I heard her voice and got to talk to her it was as though I was drunk with love for her. I came to The Thirsty Griffin Pub every day. But I never drank a single drop of alcohol. I didn't need to! The moment I spottet her I felt tipsy. She made me a better person every time we talked. She made me happier every time she gave me even the slightest bit of attention. I was so in love it felt like I was drowning. But it didn't hurt. It felt like when you hold your breath and get over the point where you have the urge to take a breath and all of a sudden you forget you were holding it until you start to fell dizzy. She was my world, the only thing I had eyes for.