Glasses and Blurry Vision

One facet of poverty is that your basic needs can sometimes go unaddressed and unfortunately for me one of those basic needs was a new pair of glasses. I believe slowly over time my vison got worse and worse, I had owned the same glasses for three years and no back-ups and no money to put into new ones, so I just dealt with it, siting at the front of the class. One day Ahmed who also had poor vision told me about a website called Zenni Optical to where you could buy glasses at 90% markdown, only they would arrive from overseas which takes over a month, so I went ahead and paid for the local glasses exam to get my prescription and then proceeded to place an order with Zenni. The problem was, I waited until my vision was blurry before trying to fix it so I went the next month unable to see well up until the two pairs of glasses I ordered for less than $25 from Zenni arrived and it was spectacular when I put them on and could see again.

One memory involving my poor vision and my fear of judgment was one day my parents wanted to go eat at Cheddar's for some kind of reason, a local reastaurant that was very well priced for quality. Anyways they are typically busiest in the evenings which is when myself and my parents went. The result was we had a thirty minute wait outside with dozens of people that I couldn't see and or feel comfortable around. I think out of frustration I completely took my glasses off to be 99% blind so I didn't see the people. Again there was this fear of judgement and when I looked out onto the street all I wanted was to see well enough to view cars driving by.