One Ron's Rehab

One Ron's Rehab

When I was thirteen years old my father had been gone maybe a month at an inpatient rehabilitation facility for his alcohol abuse when my mother arranged for me, her, and my sister to go visit him. It was at a place somewhat in the country and I think it was religiously focused. I remember seeing my father for the first time and he commented "I can't believe you already have a moustache." You see he was always absent and my mother didn't really care so I never had been bought a razor and shaving cream or been taught how to shave. I had to learn how to shave through a google search. Anyways I remember the sadness in my father's face when he asked my mother if he could come back home that day, and she replied "no." After having lived in Austin State Hospital and Austin Recover I know that broke his fucking heart to have to remain where he was, not at home with his family.

Later on when he did come home he was very positive and wanted to make a change, but we as a family didn't support him. He wanted to play this Christian music cd he got from one of the other guys and rehab and all we did was complain that we didn't want to hear it. God damnit it hurts so much that we essentially left him alone to treat himself. I mean I put a lot of blame on myself and all I can speak for is myself, and in my words I want to tell you Ron. I am so very sorry I wasn't there for you when you truly needed me to be.