Chapter 36

Word Count: 2059

Nobody's POV

The next morning unfolded with a tentative calmness. Lizzie, still grappling with the revelations of the previous night, rose early to prepare a quiet breakfast for Alexis and the twins. The inviting aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the comforting sizzle of bacon wafted through the air, creating a semblance of normalcy amid the chaos of emotions.

As they gathered around the breakfast table, an air of quietude enveloped them. Lizzie steered the conversation towards lighter topics, discussing trivial matters such as the weather and plans for the day. The twins, still processing the weight of the situation, played along, crafting an illusion of a normal family routine.

"How did everyone sleep last night?" Lizzie mustered a smile, attempting to lighten the mood despite the evident strain in the room.

"Terrible," Mary-Kate confessed, abandoning the facade of composure.

"I had three nightmares," Alexis whispered, her words catching Lizzie's ear. Though Lizzie suspected only two occurred, it seemed she was mistaken.

"Thanks for breakfast, Liz," Ashley redirected the conversation.

"Yeah, thanks, Mom," Alexis nodded sleepily, clutching Lizzie's hand. Progress had been made, only for one letter to shatter the fragile stability they had achieved.

"Of course," Lizzie forced another smile.

The breakfast dialogue meandered between movie preferences and plans for the day, consciously avoiding the weightier topics lurking beneath the surface. Lizzie was resolute in preserving an atmosphere of comfort, seeking to maximize it before her departure. Alexis, still absorbing the previous night's events, smiled weakly, grateful for the effort to create a semblance of normalcy. It was unanimously agreed upon that a movie day would be beneficial for everyone to unwind after the ordeal of the previous day.

---

After breakfast, the group transitioned to the family room, transforming it into a cozy movie haven. Blankets and pillows adorned the couch, and the soft glow of the TV illuminated their faces. Alexis nestled into Lizzie, who found a place between the twins, her small hands seeking refuge in theirs.

"Alright, let's start with something ridiculous – how about that cheesy rom-com we used to watch on repeat?" Mary-Kate couldn't suppress a small smirk, knowing it would irk her twin.

"The one with the over-the-top love declarations and predictable plot twists?" Ashley huffed.

"Exactly," Mary-Kate nodded.

As the morning unfolded, a sense of normalcy settled in. The movies provided a welcomed distraction, the group on the couch sharing not only the screen but also laughter, tears, and silent moments of reflection. The weight of the previous night was momentarily lifted, replaced by the cathartic release of a movie day. Alexis succumbed to sleep halfway through a Winnie the Pooh Christmas special, trusting in the presence of her favorite people to ward off any imaginary or real dangers.

"Hey, I need another favor?" Lizzie whispered in the muted light of the movie, her hand tracing soothing patterns on Alexis's back.

"I have a shovel," Mary-Kate responded without hesitation.

"I need a non-illegal favor," Lizzie corrected.

"What's up?"

"Remember the guy I told you about? The one I met at the airport?" Lizzie blushed slightly.

"Oh, Roberto?" Mary-Kate teased.

"Robbie, but yes," Lizzie nodded.

"You have a hot date planned or something? 'Cause I don't know if she can handle a night alone," Ashley remarked, a sense of déjà vu settling in.