Chapter 19

Word Count: 3366

Lizzie's POV

"Lizzie do you think there's any way, I could be in your life again? Both of your lives?" My mom asked nervously.

There was a long silence that filled the kitchen as I tried to find the right words to voice my opinions which currently seemed to be arguing back and forth.

"Mom, that's a loaded question. It's not fair of you to be asking that," Ashley spoke up, stunning both mom and me.

"Ash-"

"No, mom she's right. You've torn her and Alexis apart piece by piece and now that she's finally glued them back together you think you can just come back into their lives like nothings happened?" Ashley started raising her voice and I watched in awe as my sister protected both me and my daughter. She had the words I didn't know how to voice. She's not telling mom no but it's also not a yes. It's trying to get her to understand her actions and put away the fake tears.

"Ashley Fuller! This is not your place," mom angrily retorted.

"She's not wrong mom," I interrupted before she could say anything hurtful to her.

"What?" She turned her attention back to me with a shocked expression.

"She's not wrong mom. You have broken Alexis and I many times over and now that we are getting to a good place or at least trying to, you just want to waltz back into our lives," i try to explain, still feeling frustrated that she can't see this is a problem.

"I know I've done wrong, I just don't get why you can't forgive me?" She pleaded.

"Some of the things you did are unforgivable mom! You should just be happy that Lizzie is here today," Ashley shouted.

"I am happy she's here, but I don't want this to be the only time I see her. I'm not looking at Alexis because I don't want to freak her it anymore and cause Lizzie to leave early.  Lizzie is my baby and I want to be in her life again," mom seethed with her shaky voice filling the entire kitchen. She looked over at me with a stare filled with both of regret and longing, and for once it felt real.

I discarded the sliced sweet potatoes into a sprayed dish before grabbing the spices next to me. I started to sprinkle them on as I tried to form a response but when two arms wrapped around my torso and a small body collide with mine I had to stop.

"Hey sweetheart," I whispered pulling her around my front to hug her properly, She didn't respond just nuzzled her head into my sweater. A clear sign that she's feeling overwhelmed.

"Alexis?" My mom called from across the kitchen and I could physically feel Alexis's grip on me tighten as her body tensed.

"Mom, please don't, you're scaring her," I asked kindly before reaching down to pick her up. She may be getting taller but she's still pretty light. She wrapped her arms around my neck and legs around my torso as her head was tucked underneath my chin.

"It's going to be okay, you're okay, you're safe, and I've got you," I whispered into her ear before pressing a kiss to her head. Ashley gave me a sad look already knowing that Alexis must be feeling overwhelmed while mom analyzed my every move.