Chapter 11

Word Count: 2037

Alexis's POV

"Are you gonna make me go back there?" I asked in a small voice, terrified of her answer. What if he does something to me or worse he calls the rest of his friends? I don't think I can do that again.

Mom took a deep breath before turning on her side fully and asking, "how do you feel about it?"

"I don't wanna go if he's there," I mumbled as I played with the paws of my bear while still laying on my back.

"Do you think you could tell me about what happened with him?" She asked next, "I only ask because I'll have to call your principal and they'll want to know why I'm asking for the termination of his substitute license."

I paused to think about it. On one hand, I feel like saying it aloud will make it worse and I don't want it to be worse, I don't want to relive what happened. But on the other hand, telling her may save me from him, it'll keep him away like Josh. She'll keep me safe as she promised - I'm always safe with her. But she's leaving soon so what'll happen then?

"You don't have to if you don't want to, I'm just trying to help," Mom pulled me out of my spiraling thoughts as she pulled me into her embrace.

"I-I want to tell you," I deny, stopping my fiddling, "I'm just scared."

"That's okay. It's scary to talk about, right?"

I nodded a small yes.

"We can start simple. Do you remember when he first started coming over?"

I nodded yes again.

"Good, how old do you think you were?"

"They were close friends so he's known me a long time."

"What can you tell me about your earliest memory with him?"

"I think I was six or so and Josh had him watch me while he went out to the store."

"Okay, that's a start, now what else do you remember?"

"He's tall, he's always been taller than me which made it easy for him to push me around," I started as I nuzzled myself into Mom, abandoning my bears beside me. Nothing comforts me as much as her. "He loved feeling powerful, it didn't matter what we were doing it was always about the power struggle, like eating dinner in a smaller chair than him, sitting on the floor instead of the couch, even marking me to be-" I paused getting choked up on my memories. "It was all about the games," I choked out thinking back on the types of games he wanted to play. They weren't meant for little girls, it didn't matter if I was six or ten. His games didn't change, they just got worse as if he thought I'd be stronger so he needed to gain more power.

"What games?" She asks adjusting her hold on me.

"His games....he'd make me answer to his every beck and call. A beer, a line of drugs, even something as simple as opening the bathroom door for him, he'd just call out for me."

"Did anything else happen?" Mom whispered.

I nodded a timid yes as I tried to wiggle close to her. I was practically laying on top of her now as I tried to calm my rapid heartbeat with hers.