Chapter 33

Word Count: 2460

Lizzie's POV

I quietly crept into the house after getting dropped off outside. MK took my car from the airport so I had to get dropped off.

I quietly went to my bedroom and tossed my things on my bed before going to my en-suite to shower off the airplane germs. I changed into some PJs before heading upstairs to Alexis's room. She hasn't been sleeping well all week and I can't do anything but encourage her to go to her Aunt. It's frustrating because despite my best pleas I know she doesn't.

I softly opened the door hoping to not wake her but she was already up. She has her headphones in and was watching her phone intensely. I don't want to scare her, so I knock on the door behind me causing her to look up and jump at the sight of me.

"Hey, what are you doing awake still?" I whisper as I approached her bed. She can't help but smile at me. I sit down next to her before she held her arms out to me. I hug her tight as she does the same.

"I missed you," she whispered in my ear.

"I missed you too," I remind her, "do you need to tell me anything?"

"No," she hugs me tight. I guess she's up because she was waiting for me, not because she had another nightmare.

"Okay, let's go to bed then," I tell her after seeing the clock read three in the morning.

We both lay down side by side as she stares me up and down. "What's up, Lex?"

I hold my arms out for her silently offering to hold her closer. She shuffled over to lay her cheek against my heartbeat.

"I love you," I remind her.

"I love you too," she replies softly.

I gently rub circles into her back under her pajama shirt as her breaths even out against me. I think she just wanted to be sure that I'm really here. I lay awake waiting for her breathing to sound right before I finally close my own eyes.

———

"Lizzie, Lizzie?" Someone shakes me in my sleep.

"Huh?" I start to come to.

"Wake up it's like noon and we're bored," one of my sisters complains.

"Is Alexis up?"

"No, she's literally sleeping on you," they giggle.

"Oh yeah," I open my eyes to see her curled against me. I pull the blanket up to hide her from the bright lights and noise. She needs all the sleep she can get.

"You okay? Was she asleep when you got in last night?" MK asks as she sits eagerly perched on the edge of Alexis's bed. 

"No, she was playing on her phone. I think she might've been a tad anxious that I wouldn't come home," I confess guilt flooding my stomach. No matter how many times I tell her that I'll be back, she still doesn't believe me.

"Oh, we asked if she wanted one of us to stay and she said no," Ashley declares.

"I bet you did. It's not your fault I just don't think she knew how nervous she was and she wanted to stay up which means not having you next to her all night," I try to explain, hoping that they aren't put off by Alexis's behavior.

"That's true, I would've made sure she was asleep," MK agrees.

"Well we don't have any work and we're thinking today could be a good pool day, Jake and Courtney are also free," Ashley suggests.

"We know Alexis doesn't like the pool but maybe a slow introduction? Plus you'll be here," MK adds.

"Hmm, I don't know. She really freaks out about the water. I don't want to overstress her poor body to exhaustion," I counter as I feel Alexis start to stir.