Chapter 20

Word Count: 4225

Alexis's POV

I heard footsteps enter the dining room and I went stiff as a board trying to decipher by their tread who it was.

I just hope they're not here to hit me or punish me for not eating like I was supposed to. They're just as bad as Josh. They'll probably be here in a second to snatch me away from Mom and beat me until I'm bloody and broken. With that memory on my mind, I grabbed onto mom's sweater for dear life.

"What's going on little one?" It's Aunt MK. She's the one who likes to call me that.

"You're okay," Mom rubbed soft circles into my back before she directed her attention to Aunt MK, "She overheard what Mom and Dad said in the kitchen." I tried to find more comfort in her embrace. Tears didn't flow down my face but they pooled as my heart ached in pain.

Lizzie's POV

"I'm sorry, little one," MK apologized and she reached out to place a comforting hand on her back. Alexis jumped at her touch, neither of us expected it as we both shared a look of worry. She whimpered out a small "don't hurt me," as she pushed her face into my neck. I felt soft tears against my skin as her soft cries filled my ears.

"I'm sorry. Ashley and Trent will figure them out, why don't you two take a break upstairs or in the backyard?" MK suggested as kindly as possible. I was already ahead of her trying to get Alexis to unlatch her death grip on me so I can move.

"Mmhmm," I hummed my reply before getting up with panicky Alexis in my arms. I exited the backdoor with the help of MK because I couldn't turn the door knob while still holding Alexis with both hands.

It was a bit chilly but I think that'll help ground her. Taking a seat in one of the pool lounge chairs, I tried to get her to look at me but she wasn't having it.

"Hey sweetheart, you're okay, you just need to breathe with me, like this: breath in, hold it, and breathe out," I counted it out in my head to not confuse her. She took shakily breathes as she continued to try in find more comfort by digging her head into the crook of my neck. We continued to practice until her shaky breaths turned into hiccups and hiccups into slow normal ones.

"Mama?" She sniffed loudly.

"I've got you. You're okay," I tried to reassure her as I held her close.

"I don't like it here but I wanna stay," she took another deep breath, "I know you'll say let's go but..."

"What do you mean? We can go, let's go home," I decided on a whim. If she wants to go, I'll leave without question.

"No, I don't wanna leave," she whined, "not yet."

"I'm gonna need more words, Lex," I gently reminded her as I kicked my feet up on the chair so I could properly cuddle her.

"I - uh I feel bad..." she started as she tried to steady her voice while I was already plotting our escape plan.

"Lex we can go. You don't feel safe here, we can go home and watch movies and cuddle."

"No, it's okay," she mumbled as she turned to lay her ear on my chest instead.

"Lex, we can go, in fact, we should go. Today was a bad idea," I disagreed as I adjusted my hold on her so I could hold her hands within mine before she started scratching again.

"Mom I wanna try and stay, I wanna celebrate Christmas like a normal kid," she brought one of her hands up that was held in mine to wipe her cheeks and nose.

"Please sweetheart," I pleaded, confused by her refusal.

"I need to be normal," she whined. I don't understand why she would want to stay after all this.