Chapter 13

Word Count: 1803

Lizzie's POV

Alexis barely wanted to let go of me when we finally decided to make the move downstairs. I don't even know what's wrong or what causes her to act this way. She seems so fragile like if we say the wrong thing she'll break. 

For breakfast, we made Winnie the Pooh-themed pancakes. We even stuck a candle in Alexis's so that we could whisper sing her happy birthday.

"Mom?" She turned to look at me.

"Yeah?" I answered eyeing her calmly.

"My tummy hurts," she whispered.

"What part of your tummy?" I asked setting my fork down.

"Like around my belly button," she answered while climbing into my lap, abandoning her barely eaten breakfast.

"Like below your belly button or above?"

"Below," she huffed before slightly relaxing in me. Well, that sounds more like menstrual cramps than stomach issues.

"Okay, on a scale of one to ten how bad does it hurt?"

"Like a four," she answered hooking her arms around my neck. As I have recently learned, a four for Alexis is usually about a seven or eight for a normal person.

"I'm sorry, why don't we get you some ibuprofen and a heating pad, and then we can watch some movies to relax?"

"I'm not hungry either," she reminded me.

"Well, you've to eat something, pancakes or PediaSure, Lex?"

"No, no, I'm not hungry my tummy hurts," she complained loudly, nearly crying at her outburst.

"I'm sorry your stomach hurts little one, what if I made you a special smoothie to help it?" MK chimed in.

"My tummy really hurts, Mama," she whined loudly into my ear.

"Okay, we can revisit this later," I decided while rubbing her back to hopefully console her.

"Period?" Ashley mouthed.

"Maybe?" I shrugged not sure what was going on.

When breakfast finished, we all ended up back in the movie room, where we spent a lot more time this weekend than I thought we would. Toys for Rose were laid out in front of the screen while everyone else took their seats.

Alexis laid her head in my lap, she wanted to lay on me but the heat pad made it too complicated. I ran my fingers through her hair as she snuggled close with her bears protectively wrapped in each arm. We started the first movie and I thought she would fall asleep but she just kept shifting uncomfortably.

During the second she couldn't seem to get comfortable so I moved over to her seat and moved her to sit facing forward on my lap. This way the heating pad was still on her lower stomach and the cord wasn't too tangled. That's when I noticed she also felt a lot warmer than normal, which didn't seem right for PMS. I know everyone has different symptoms but a fever seemed out of the ordinary.

"Lex, just close your eyes, I've got you," I tried to coax her into sleeping to hopefully break her fever but she just shook her head no.

"It's okay, I promise just close your eyes," I tried again but she still dismissed me. I sighed deeply trying to think of a new way to help her.

Everyone would glance at us every so often as if to check-in. We had originally planned a very different day with time to play in the new snow, bake her birthday cupcakes, and maybe even introduce her to the hot tub. We just wanted to have a good day, but today wasn't feeling like one. I knew no one was paying attention to the movie. I barely registered the name of it and if Alexis wasn't on my lap, I'd be on WebMD looking up her symptoms.