Chapter 31

Word Count: 2794

Lizzie's POV

Today is my last day before I fly out to Utah. We spent the morning riding bikes with Alexis. The twins went and rented a Golf Cart so they could ride along "comfortably" as they put it. I don't even know how they got it to my house.

For lunch, we went to a cute diner that, Mary-Kate found on Yelp. It wasn't bad but it was crowded which is not what you want when you have a socially-anxious twelve-year-old and three celebrities.

After lunch we took Alexis to a putt-putt golf place, Ashley rented out the space for a few hours and invited a few close family friends and our siblings. Jake even called out of work sick to join us. It was super fun and they had snow cones so of course we took a break for those.

We went out for dinner as well to one of Alexis's favorite local places. They have what she classifies as the best chicken nugget so of course we had to go. We brought the whole group too, which was quite chaotically loud but fun. I'm sure the waitress didn't enjoy it but we tipped well.

We're back home now and the twins headed out to check out some computer things at the office.

"What do you wanna do?" I asked as I took a seat next to Alexis on the couch.

She looked up at me with tears pooling in the corners of her eyes before she blinked hard.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" I cooed at her expression.

"C-can you just hold me?" She muttered as she shielded her body with her arms. I quickly moved to pull her into my arms. She sat sideways across my lap while I wrapped my arms around her shaky frame.

"Everything is going to be okay," I whispered into her ear hoping to calm the hiccupy breaths she's making. She doesn't respond but tightens her grip on me.

"I'm right here and I'll always come back," I remind her quietly. She nodded subtly to show she understands but makes no effort to try and talk to me.

We bask in each other's presence for a little while longer before I nudge her gently. "Let's get ready for bed, Lex," I began to unwrap my arms from around her.

"Can I sleep with you?" She trembled nervously.

"Of course," I smiled at her before she got up.

"I'm gonna get ready but I'll be right back," she shouted before running upstairs in a flash.

I take a deep breath as if trying to mentally prepare myself for the next day. The deja vu settling in from the last time we went through a major separation. I can't help but worry about everything that could go wrong or that will probably happen while I'm away.

I get lost in my thoughts thinking about how much has happened in these past fourteen months. She's already growing up too fast and I don't want to miss anymore. It's been a little over a year now and she's making leaps and bounds. She's taller now, she smiles more, she's always been extra smart, and she's growing into a beautiful little lady. She still has her fragile moments but not as much as she used to. She craves love and attention like every child but uniquely to her, she also knows just how special it is.

"Mom! What would you say to getting a dog?" Alexis shouted as I hear her footsteps rush down the stairs.

"A dog?" I questioned standing up to greet her at the bottom of the stairs.

"Well Uncle Chris has a dog and I think it would be cool if we also had one, that way I'd always have a friend, even when you're gone," Alexis proposed with her hands full of her stuffed animal crowd as we head towards my bedroom. Even though she's grown, she still loves the comfort of her stuffed animal.