Chapter 18

Word choice: 2887

Alexis's POV

I slowly woke to my surroundings not entirely sure why it was so bright in the room until I realized that it must be late in the morning.

"Oh hey you're awake," Mom's morning voice croaked next to me. I nodded ever so lightly. "Merry Christmas Alexis," she whispered as she held me close. I snuggled into her despite the large Pooh bear between us and she giggled lightly at my response.

"Merry Christmas, mama," I mumbled.

"When you're ready we can go see if Santa came, but if you want to stay here a little longer that's okay too. We don't have to be at my Mom's until two," mom explained to me, already knowing over communication is what I need, especially on days I know will be hard.

I nodded to show my acknowledgment but didn't bother trying to get up. I was enjoying soaking up this quiet moment. For the first time in weeks I didn't wake up in the middle of the night, even sleeping next to mom doesn't guarantee me a well-rested night anymore. I seem to always be on edge and it doesn't help that everything seems to be a worry in my life lately.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"Okay."

"Just okay?" She repeated as she combed through my hair.

"Yeah," I shrugged. How am I supposed to feel? I'm going to meet my mom's entire family for the first time at a Christmas dinner where her parents, my supposed grandparents, hate me.

"Can you just promise me that you'll tell me if you're feeling bad? Even when we're at my mom's, Just say the word and we'll leave," mom said.

"I promise," I whispered.

"Thank you," she kissed my head again.

We cuddled for a little longer before heading out to the living. Mom had her phone out filming me again as she waited eagerly for me to go through everything. She wore a proud smile as I walked over to the pile of presents on the couch.

"Santa came!" Mom giggled happily.

"I guess," I laughed at the pile of things.

——

The morning sped by as Mom and I opened presents and got ready to go. I wore jeans and a nice sweat and more wore nearly the same but different colors. It was unintentional but we laughed anyway. I helped load the car with presents we had picked out for everyone and mom made sure to grab whatever food or drink she had been instructed to bring. Even though I'm twelve mom still says I'm too little to ride in the front, which I think is unfair. I'm not that short, I'm almost five feet. She's not even that much taller than me anymore.

It wasn't long before we were pulling into an unfamiliar neighborhood and parking next to a house that looked like its happiness was slightly abandoned.

"You remember your promise?" Mom asked before getting out of the car.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"Great, let's go see your aunts, they've been dying to see you all morning," she gives me a comforting smile before getting out of the car. We each grab a basket from the trunk before heading to the door.

I take a few deep breaths and close my eyes to calm my nerves. I wish I wasn't carrying this dumb basket so I could hold Mom's hand.

"Hey! Merry Christmas!" A familiar voice greets us and I open my eyes to see my Aunt MK.

I smile at her funny Santa hat while she ushers us into the house. Everything's the same as it is every year. You can take your shoes off here, everyone is in the family room," she explains quickly before giving us each an awkward hug.