Thirty One

Dominik might have lied a bit when he promised Salina a 'break', because there was always work to be done in his line of business.

But he'd cut it down significantly. They both know laying low after murdering his parents isn't what will strengthen his reign. He needs to make moves, be seen, the people beneath him need to know who exactly he is.

His wife is with Vivienne at the moment, he wasn't exactly clear on what her plans were- he was distracted when he was leaving. He was distracted trying to feel her up as much as possible on his way out.

But he's a man so he can admit his faults. One of his faults is his lack of attention span when Salina is around.

Lev sat besides him as they sat at a table with multiple other mafia personnel attending. Dominik was busy checking his cameras to see if Salina was still home, he frowned when he read her texts about her appointment with Vivienne somewhere.

More texts came in from Gabriel and Fern confirming they were with her. He had them keeping close tabs on her after the 'death' of her father. He just wants to make sure she's feeling okay after the impromptu decision.

But they couldn't wait any longer and this was as close to perfect they could get. Laurent rotting in a cell at a remote location and his parents rotting six feet under the ground.

"I'm sure she's fine, Dom," Lev murmured next to him.

Dominik glared sideways, setting his phone down with a huff. The other men around them kept talking amongst themselves.

"How do you know? Have you asked her how she's feeling after it all?" He was hoping if Salina has been struggling, she would tell Lev if she didn't feel comfortable telling him at the moment. His stomach turned at the thought.

"Relax son, I've asked many times now and she's told me she is as good as she can be. Mentally and physically. She's more worried about you and honestly so am I."

The younger Russian man frowned, his sweet Salina has been asking him fairly often lately if he was feeling okay. "There's nothing to worry about, Lev."

Lev rolled his eyes though, "It'd be normal if you took some time to yourself, no one would look down on you."

"And when have you known me to be normal?"

"You're such a smart ass, Ivanov," Lev shook his head. "I've known you since you were a boy. You can be honest with me. I care for you like you're my own and I'm worried Dominik."

This made Dominik falter a bit, he side eyed Lev momentarily. Hesitating for a moment, he only reached to take a swig of his drink. Lev sunk down into his chair with a defeated sigh.

"Do you remember my eighth birthday?" Dominik asked.

This had the older man pausing for a second, squinting his eyes in thought before it dawned on him. The memory made him smile smally, he stared down at the top of the table as silence once again permeated the two men.

"Well, do you?"

"I do," Lev confirmed. "You were so pissed. What kind of kid is pissed about getting ice cream?"

Dominik snorted with a smirk gracing his lips, "You were supposed to be in charge of my training that day- that's what I was pissed about. It was the only thing I ever had to get right so you were cutting into my time to perfect it."

"But you still didn't snitch."

Nodding, Dominik brushed his hair back. "I didn't snitch..."

He swirled the whiskey around in the glass, his rampant thoughts slowed down for a second. "I'm not fucked up over my parents because they were never there in the ways that mattered. It's not like I had to kill you or anything... then maybe I'd take some time off... if you died."