chp. 01

OUR DAUGHTER

The female walked back and forth around the small house, her slippers pattering against the dark wooden flooring

The female walked back and forth around the small house, her slippers pattering against the dark wooden flooring. The sound of paper wrinkling at the tips of her fingers filled the room.

She was holding a closed, white envelope in her hands - her heart beating faster and faster the more she thought about it. She bit her bottom lip as a habit while she was feeling anxious, fearful of what words could be hidden behind the envelope.

Her parents were both at work, she wanted to surprise them with a good surprise. However, she was skeptical if she was able to do so.

After calming down for a few seconds, she sat down on the leathery-brown couch, inhaling as she faced down at the paper in her hands. Subconsciously, her right foot was tapping non-stop against the ground, representing the nervousness she felt at the moment.

"It's okay, Hwayoung. You got this. Be confident." She spoke to herself in hopes of encouraging the heart that beat overly fast.

Biting the flesh of her bottom lip again, she slowly raised her fingers towards the opening of the envelope, gently peeling the skin of sticky paper. The Song looked up to the ceiling, squeezing her eyes close as tightly as she could before revealing what was inside the letter.

Drawing her eyes back down, she anxiously pulled out the folded papery letter out of the envelope, putting it beside her on the couch.

To Ms Song Hwayoung, the front section of the letter stated. As she gradually unfolded the paper, she felt her heart beating against her ribcage repeatedly.

Scanning her eyes over the many words that were littered onto the letter, there was only one word she wanted to find.

As soon as she read the words, 'Congratulations, you have been accepted into-', she instantly stood u as rapidly as possible, a beam plastered on her face as she silently screamed throughout the house with no one other than her in it.

Her pearly white teeth showing through as she continued reading the rest of the letter - however, she wasn't able to focus on the other sentences as the reminder that she had successfully got accepted into her dream university was printed permanently onto her mind.

As soon as she heard the door unlock, she hurriedly trailed to the front door. Making eye contact with both her parents, she hid the letter behind her back, covering it between her hands.

"What happened, Young? Why are you so happy?" Her mother inquired, a smile growing on her lips as she felt happy seeing her daughter happy. Her father only chuckled at his daughter's huge beam.

Hwayoung didn't respond, all she did was pull out the letter from behind her back, announcing to her parents that she had got accepted into her dream university that she worked sleeplessly for.

Her father needed to fix the position of his glasses, rereading the words printed onto the letter. "Young!" Her mother cheered, taking the Song into a homey embrace.

As soon as her father was able to process what he had just read, he joined in with the hug. Hwayoung giggled as she was captured into a cuddle with her parents, feeling the limitless love that she could feel.

It was like watching a movie - the ending where the family reunites in fondness and affection.

"That's the best thing to come home to!" The father cheered, his eyes creasing at the genuine smile that etched onto his face.

It was like a reset of all the stress she felt before opening the letter, she couldn't wait to announce it to her parents. Running back to her small and cramped room, she taped the admission letter onto her wall, above her desk that was covered with a clutter of books and notes.

The Song sat joyfully onto the rolling chair beside her desk, her eyes never leaving the paper. The satisfaction and proudness that she felt at that moment was indescribable.

It felt like the daily studies that faded into years finally worked out.

first actual chapter how do we like it 😖😖