GOLDEN

The sun was warm today. It was an abnormality where you resided but not an unwelcome one. You were getting tired of the cold breezes and freezing fog. Your unfinished blanket lay in your lap, crochet hook forgotten as you embraced the sun.

It was so so golden and warm and it felt like home. Your real home. Away from the wind and waves. It reminded you of how it all started. It had been stupid, to save a random sailor stranded at sea. Your father had just brushed his crew members off.

"But what if he's a pirate?" You had asked, hiding behind the navigator to peek at the unconscious sailor.

"Then he is a pirate." That had been the end of that conversation. To your father's credit, he never made you attend to the sailor. He did encourage it though, saying things like 'he's just your age, only a few months older' or 'he's seen places even we have not traveled'. 

Your father was a brave merchant, one who abided by his own strict moral code. When you weren't on his ship with him you were home, a small manor on Paradise Island. It truly was a paradise to you, always warm with crystal blue seas perfect for swimming.

Your grandma lived there and she was always ready to tell a story at moments notice. Even once she passed, you never felt alone. You knew she was always watching over you, keeping you as safe as possible.

Your father had dropped you home one day after a long voyage, he was ready to return the mysterious sailor, Lionel, home. 

"I'll be back before you know it. Don't get into any trouble." He'd gently chided before you shook your head with a laugh.

"Of course, Papa! I'll be waiting for you the second you get home. Stay safe alright?"

"I promise to return safe." Unfortunately, your father never fulfilled his promise. On the way his ship was attacked by pirates. Only one person on that ship survived, Lionel. 

It turned out, your initial instinct had been half right. While Lionel himself wasn't a pirate, his father was. A ruthless murderer and thief at that, cruel, hard and crass. Lionel hadn't done anything but direct his father's fleet back to Paradise, back to you.

You still remembered the day you got the news of your father's death. You'd collapsed onto the floor and the messenger had fetched the town doctor. The messenger had been from another merchant ship who'd found the wreckage of your father's ship.

You were still in a state of shock when the pirates had finally attacked. There was no escape for anyone. Every citizen was rounded up, they either pledged allegiance to the pirate lord or they perished. Everyone but you that was.

You were cornered in your bedroom by Lionel who had already disposed of the doctor.

"I missed you, sunshine."

"...it was you. You killed my father. After he saved your life!" You'd tried to attack him, succeeded in scratching his face, causing a long bleeding mark. He quickly restrained you though.

"I did no such thing. It was my father who killed yours. It was your father who refused to surrender even though he was given the option. He went down fighting if thats any consolation." Lionel had replied, pinning you to the wall and binding your hands.

"Let me go! You're lying! You killed him!" You had yelled. You put up a good fight, even freed a hand at one point, it didn't last long though. When cloth failed, he tied you with rope. He threatened chains if you slipped out of the rope.

"Silence, sunshine. I'm doing the talking now." He smirked down at your tied up form as he carried you back towards the pirate ships. You flinched at the sound of gunshots behind you. Your sobbing escalating to hysterical crying. 

You didn't thing he was going to kill you, he had a pistol on him, he would've killed you at home. You had no one left to get ransom from, something he likely knew from your father. That left an option that made you sick to your stomach.

It wasn't long after you were brought onboard that the town's officiator was dragged in. Lionel was still in the process of trying to get you to calm down and 'just breathe'. Your panicking brain was having none of it, made worse by the officiator's presence.

It was quick and hurried, with none of the traditional elements. No veil or exchange of jewelry or vows. It just made you more miserable. You were near unconscious by the time it was over, throat sore and scratchy. The man holding the officiator at knifepoint just laughed.

"Congratulations, son. I'll make sure your brothers and sisters know to send gifts and welcome our newest member to the family." So this was him. This was the man who killed your father and probably half of your island. 

"I'm going home. You know where to find me, yes?" Lionel had taken the rest of their conversation outside of the room as you had finally passed out. You didn't wake up for a while, and when you did you were near catatonic. You didn't eat or drink, just lay there, remembering your father and wondering how he could have ever left you. After that you remembered each and every member of his crew, how they'd gone down honorably but left you behind.

By the time you snapped out of it, the sun wasn't as warm and you were always cold. That was just the way life was here at Briar Cliff. A small rocky island with only a few residences. Lionel was busy most of the time, doing everything for the home and also leaving occasionally to get supplies from other islands.

You spent most of your time on the front porch or in the living room by the window, just watching the sea. It was all your days consisted of, minus the small menial tasks Lionel tried to assign you. From mending, to embroidering, to crocheting, to reading. It was a sad existence with no escape.

"Y/N! Y/N!" You flinched, your crochet sliding off your lap as Lionel sighed. The sun was gone now, back behind a cloud. The wind had started up again. "You can't do that. I thought you'd gone into one of your dazes again."

You didn't answer, instead you stared out at the sea as he rambled on about whatever. You could see a storm brewing on the horizon. You hoped the sun would come out again before the rain stole it away.