Chapter Seventeen

They knew it would be difficult to sneak the three pups and three soldiers through the entrance without being caught, so they had to find another way in. The group walked around the fence, careful to stay out of the light and sight of any soldiers. They crept under one of the watchtowers. Judging from the lack of alarms going off, no one noticed them.

They reached the far corner of the base where no one could see them. They looked up at the fence. One of the soldiers opened a backpack he had with him. The pups didn't notice that he had one on. The soldier reached into his pack and pulled out a gray device. On either side, the gadget had cables connected to clamps.

The soldier put the multimeter on the ground and connected the clamps to the fence. Once he let go, the screen on the multimeter lit up. The soldier picked it up and read what he saw. "The multimeter says that the fence has no voltage," he said aloud.

Chase thought that was odd. "That's weird," he exclaimed. "The fence at the academy building (Search For Loved Ones) was electric, so why isn't this one?"

"The Princess chose it that way," one of the other soldiers said. "Civilians would sometimes pass close and accidentally touch it or let their kids grab onto the fence despite all the warnings. To prevent any injuries, the Princess requested to remove the electricity."

"I guess the Puissance men never brought it back up," said Marshall.

"Okay, then let's cut a hole to get in," Chase said. The soldier with the multimeter nodded. He put away the device and pulled some bolt cutters from his backpack. He was going to cut a hole when Sweetie stopped him.

"Wait," she said. She walked around the corner and looked at the others. "There's a door over here."

They all looked over at her. They went around the corner, and just as a Sweetie said, a door was in the fence. "How did you know?" asked Marshall.

Sweetie shrugged. "A gut feeling, I guess," she replied. "And I also saw it through the holes in the fence."

"Oh," Marshall said. "Nice."

The soldier with the bolt cutters put them back in his backpack and pulled out another device that looked like the multimeter but was different. It had an antenna, a larger screen, and was bulkier than the multimeter. Chase was shocked by how many things he had in his backpack. Chase figured that if the soldier knew Rocky, they would be friends.

"The lock is electric," the soldier exclaimed.

"What does that mean for us?" Chase asked.

"It means that I can do this," the soldier replied. The door unlocked and opened inward before anyone could ask what he meant. "Okay, we have ten minutes to get everyone out before their tech guys notice something. Whatever we're going to do, we need to do it quickly."

"Okay, let's move, everyone," Chase said.

Chase, Marshall, Sweetie, and the two other soldiers entered the base. They thought back to their bird ' s-eye view of the base and walked towards the tent in the other corner. Thanks to the shadow and the nighttime, they crept over to the tent without being caught.

They glanced around to ensure no one was looking in their direction and entered the tent. Inside, a guard sat on a chair, scrolling through their phone. He looked up and noticed three people and three. Before he could react, Chase shot a dart into his neck, knocking him out.

"It's getting late," Chase said to no one in particular. "It was probably best to let him sleep." The others chuckled at his joke.

They all looked around. Cells filled the inside of the tent, leaving only enough room to walk around them. Some held a couple of Solon's men, while a few held civilians who were likely at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Looks like this is where they put all the soldiers that worked on the base," one of the soldiers with Chase said.

"But where is. . .?" Chase didn't finish his sentence when he noticed a certain boy and pups he knew. "Ryder!"

Ryder looked up at the German Shepherd. "Chase?" he walked over to the cell wall. "You made it." He looked behind Chase. "And you brought Marshall. And three soldiers? And Sweetie?"

"Yeah, these three men work for Solon. You remember Solon, right?" Chase asked. Ryder nodded. "Good, and Sweetie wanted to help, so we brought her along."

Ryder smiled at Sweetie. "Thanks for the help."

Sweetie smiled back. "Anytime."

"Oh, before I forget," Ryder said. "Skye and Rubble are here with me."

Chase felt relieved. "Are you guys okay?"

"We're fine," Skye said. "We'll be better once we're out of this cell."

"Found the keys," one of the soldiers said. He grabbed the keys and unlocked the door. Once the door was open, he moved on to opening the others.

Immediately, Chase jumped on Ryder in excitement to see his owner again. After getting off Ryder, he nuzzled Skye and high-fived Rubble. Marshall hugged Ryder and fist-bumped Rubble.

He looked around. "Where is Everest? And Rocky and Zuma?"

"They separated us," Ryder explained. "They are at another camp."

"Then let's get going," Marshall exclaimed.

"Wait," Ryder said. "We can't leave the base like this. We have to take it back."

Chase smiled. "That's the next part of our plan."

"Plan?" Rubble asked.

"You'll see," Chase said. He looked back at the newly freed soldiers. One of the soldiers that entered the base with Chase and Marshall stood ahead of the other soldiers. "Can you lead us to the armory tent?" Chase asked.

The soldier nodded. "That, I can do."

The two groups left the tent, leaving the freed soldiers waiting for the right moment to help. The soldier led them to a tent on the other side of the large purple one and walked in. Luckily, no one else was in there as well.

"Okay," Ryder said. "Let's grab as many non-lethal ones as we can and take them to the others. We'll make more than one trip if need be. Once everyone is armed, we are taking back the base."