Friends and working hard

I could hear people moving around as I stared at my lap, the silence was making me uncomfortable. I looked up, and around at everyone, Nick was on his phone, and Suzy shoving against him as she tried to see what he was doing. Trevor was leaning his head back and staring at the ceiling. Juliette was looking at her lap and glancing at her phone, her fingers twitching. Behind me was Daryl, he had moved to sit at the bench, examining the bloodied knife as Kevin moved the dishes to the sink. Toby standing outside the green door, leaning against the wall.

"You seem to make weird friends Taylor. Gang leaders, delinquents..." Daryl commented. Trevor chuckled and stretched his arms.

"I am not a delinquent! I am top of my class and I even do after-school activities!" Juliette defended herself. I rolled my eyes. Sometimes she can sound so pretentious, but in a good... Charming way...

"Yet at the slightest sign of trouble, you ran right in. Even after the situation was explained" stated Daryl, handing the bloodied knife to Kevin and sighing, he still looked tired, his eyes moving to the green door before looking at me. "Taylor. I have no time to deal with all this new shit" he grumbled, I don't recall hearing him so... Casual talking to me, the conversational tone rather off-putting.

"I'm also mad at you, I'm not sure exactly what you did, but I know you're not innocent!" Juliette snapped at him, his eyes met hers, I groaned, leaning my head back and covering my eyes.

"I don't recall claiming my innocence" he coldly commented. Trevor laughed to himself. "Taylor, your delinquent girlfriend is in need of manners" muttered Daryl, I couldn't help the surprised chuckle leaving me. Not expecting him to continue talking to me normally. It wasn't out of humour though, only nervousness filled my mind.

"If I find out you've hurt her, I'll also beat your ass" huffed Juliette, I sat up properly, glaring at her. My heart twisting, anxiety, making me nauseous.

"You won't touch him" I snapped, her eyes on me, widening in surprise.

"But... They've..." She stammered.

"Just stop," I said, my voice harder than I've heard it before. She pouted and held her phone close, turning to curl up against the corner of the couch, going on her phone to pout. How can she act like this, I can admire her for wanting to protect me, but this is too much, I wanted to cry. Now I've even snapped at her...

The green door opened, and I went stiff, listening to him walk.

"Suppose if you want me out of here. I'll get going. I told you, Daryl, would have been easier taking her out of the equation, now all this shit is happening" huffed Hunter, he walked into the kitchen, the air tense. I could hear water, he must be having a drink. Glasses clinked and he began to move again.

Why is everyone so quiet?

A hard impact collided with my head, I swung my body forward and covered my head, cringing fearfully.

"Oops" chuckled Hunter.

"Watch yourself mutt." Warned Trevor. I trembled, so outwardly afraid of him, it's so much more embarrassing in front of Juliette, being easily beaten around and scared. A soft hand landed on my arm and I flinched away, footsteps faded off as Hunter left. I took a breath, the front door opening as Liam came in, lugging heavy-looking bags. Toby took them and began packing the fridge and cupboards. Liam's body plopped between Juliette's and mine. A hand resting on my hat.

"How many times was she beaten?" Liam asked, the question making me look up at him, Juliette punching his arm.

"As far as I know, 4 times. Twice when he tried killing her, once as punishment, and once attacking her out of anger." Daryl explained. The hand moved off of my head.