Beginnings of worth

I was woken by shaking and a small chuckle, I squinted up at a bearded face and jumped a little.

"Sorry young lady, didn't mean to surprise ya, it's morning time, you best be heading off, best time to get a meal or shower" he explained, he smiled widely and I simply nodded, not expecting his behaviour at all.

"Ah, thank you so much, I'm sorry you had to share your tent" I mumbled, he just laughed and shoved me gently.

"All good, you did me a favour, I did you one. Now get moving, best of luck, hopefully things turn around for ya" he laughed to himself and I climbed out of the tent. Startled by the unexpected kindness. Usually whenever I hear someone talk about the homeless, they speak lowly of them... I'm such a bitch.

I wandered around, looking at each street to try and see if I could backtrack or recognise anything. I felt a cold shudder run through me as I looked around, the city seemed so empty today.

I nibbled my fingernails as I gazed dizzily up at the tall buildings, anxiety eating away at my chest.

They're totally going to kill me now.

What if they're already looking for me?! What if Hunter is driving around like a mad man and ready to run me down like a video game NPC...

I shoved my hands deep in my pockets and walked around. Looking at each place nervously. I felt some hope as I met the suburbs and looked around. Maybe I could take a bus? What was the name of the street again?! My stress caused me to pull a blank, I held my hands together and hoped I could just figure it out somehow.

I began reading a bus time schedule, ignoring all the useless information. Ok I know where North Ryleton train station is, that's where I slept once.... Maybe it's towards Flay street? I think that's the street besides the massive park.... I checked the timetable and my watch.

8:00 am.... The bus should be here in 5 minutes. I stood patiently, before deciding to sit as my ankle ached a little with it not getting any ice after all my walking. I checked my watch as I tapped my legs.

8:07 am

Maybe the bus is late? I sat there, feeling panic bubble inside of me. They're probably grabbing those electric cuffs.... I'm so dead.... Why did this have to happen to me, why did I let myself keep getting lost... I should have just turned back when I had the chance.

8:15 am

Tears filled my eyes, this can't be happening... Maybe I could run off and join a circus and never be seen again, I laughed at my idiocy. I'm not skilled enough to be useful in a circus.

8:30 am

I placed my head in my hands, listening to someone walk past, I soon heard a sigh and feet crunching.

"Hey, you ok?" Asked a voice, I looked to see a man and woman, they gave me concerned looks.

"The bus is late... They're going to kill me" I muttered, tears threatening to fall.

"Oh, don't you know? The city let's buses stop working on public holidays, the trains are running, it's a bit of a walk though, where are you heading?" Asked the woman.

"The Cedar Park" I muttered, it's the biggest thing that a lot of people should recognise, they looked to each other and back at me.

"Well if you intend on walking, that would be two hours, because of the way the road system is in this city works, you'd need to walk basically around the city then turn inwards, it's a huge design flaw I think, but my cousin says it has nice views" explained the man.

"Two hours.... I walked around the city.... How did I get so lost" I whimpered, they looked to each other again. I didn't even know it was a public holiday! The man pulled a red apple from his pocket.