Place of trauma

She twiddled her fingers as the silence turned awkward. Looking at me with a hopeful expression, despite seeming so mature, her gaze is so child-like and full of fun. Is she really an assassin? It's not the look I'd associate with someone who's been through everything she has.

"Taylor... Could we... One day... Nah, it's silly, I've probably weirded you out enough today. Hunter says I talk to much" she mumbled, smiling slightly at me. I disagree with anything Hunter says. He's pure evil.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm just tired and a little sore from everything, you're fine" I told her, it's not a lie, a bruise is being extra annoying, I'm just tired... A lot has happened and I'm not sure if I'm actually safe. Daryl might just be pretending to be nice.

Oh great, this awkward silence is making me overthink.

She lightly reached towards my face, her movement strange and somehow intimidating, whether it's the way she's so steady, or the way her eyes seemed to demand my attention, I'm not sure, but something was off with how she moved. I flinched as she touched my black eye, a sad look to her, I shook off the wierd feelings.

"He really hurt you... Sorry, I should get going, Nick will be expecting me back soon-" she rambled, seeming embarrassed with herself, pulling her hand back and jumping to her feet. "-so I best get going. Oh and Taylor, please don't be so scared, Nick said you wouldn't even fight back when nearly stripped... I promise, he won't be mad if you defend yourself. It's ok to protect yourself Taylor, it's a harsh world, not everyone will have good intentions using fear to control your actions" she mumbled.

"Easier said than done... They haven't made it easy..." I responded, my head sore from overthinking, my stomach rumbled for food and I avoided looking at her, I know she's looking at me, she grabbed my hand softly, prompting me to look into her sad gaze.

"Don't get me wrong Taylor, Daryl doesn't like people giving him attitude or being aggressive. If you try speaking up respectfully, or with fear, he tends to respond well. Trust me, he dealt with Toby, and that boy was apparently a bag of attitude and smart-ass" she giggled softly, I squeezed her hand, feeling the warmth, her fingers rugged and damaged.

She let me go and left quickly, I smiled to myself, that was probably the best interaction so far. She's so kind, I don't know if I can fully trust her, but I want to, so badly. Though maybe I should try speaking up without getting upset, which sounds hard considering my situation... I think Daryl has responded well to me being upset hasn't he? I don't remember him being mean about it, except for when I was tired and gave him attitude...

"Gah!" I cried out in frustration, my headache throbbing from me overthinking. My black eye watering slightly. I brushed away the tear and curled up to rest my head.

Someone was shaking my shoulder, I groaned and sat up, looking to Toby curiously, he smiled and laughed to himself.

"I think you need a hairbrush. I'll get ya one, sorry I shouldn't laugh. Here's some dinner" he chuckled to himself. I looked to the plate of vegetables and what was possibly pork. I nodded and picked up the plate.

"Why are you guys suddenly being nice?" I suddenly asked, not expecting myself to verbalise my confusion. He frowned slightly and sighed.

"We've explained it a little... But I'm sorry Taylor, if I ever came off as mean or hard... We all know we've been way to harsh on you. It's not your fault Hunter chose to mess with you. You're not even an adult yet... I promise, Daryl isn't happy with himself either. Please just rest, I promise, it won't be as hard anymore." He explained, with a soft smile, he ruffled my hair and moved to leave.

"What's with all the hair ruffling?" I asked, he laughed at that, his shoes squeaking as he spun on his heal.

"Well, it's uncomfortable offering a hug when you're still scared and upset, so it's one way to be affectionate, without crossing many boundaries." he chuckled, I squinted at him in confusion, Daryl does it a lot to, I don't believe he wants to hug me.