Busy body

I stared at the map, heading towards a busy area, people walking casually from place to place, it seems to be a shopping district. I checked the map, it seems that all of the places are here.  I moved towards the closest destination, a little supplies shop. It had some signs around, talking about sales. I pushed the trolley inside, looking around curiously. Someone looked to me, and began staring with a concerned look.

My face grew hot in embarrassment. I shook my head and rushed away, examining all the stuff inside the store, glancing at someone else who took a double take. A woman tapped my shoulder making me flinch.

"Are you ok?" She asked, gesturing to my bruised face, my black eye still apparent. I swallowed and looked away.

"Uh yeah, just shopping" I stammered, Daryl was right I need to buy a hat... The staring eyes and second glances making me self conscious. I glanced at my phone, I wonder why he needs more pens and paper? Such basic office supplies, not anything I'd expect from criminals. Can't they just steal it all?

I quickly began filling a basket, trying to ignore the stares. I picked up a briefcase and a few plastic containers. Taking a deep breath. I bought them from a smiley older woman at the register, her eyes flicking over my face. I opened the handbag and paused, so much money was just stuffed inside.

"That will be $85.50" she said, I frowned, digging through the handbag, my hands shaking, feeling incredibly on edge as I felt the plastic notes against my fingers. I grabbed an $100 note and nervously handed it to her. She seemed concerned as she took the note. Oh no, does she know it's crime money?!

"Are you ok? You've been shaking this whole time" she said. I took a deep breath, I probably look so suspicious... I couldn't find words and looked away, she handed me my change, I stuffed it into my handbag and shoved the supplies into the trolley, quickly and nervously leaving.

I hurried to the next store, a clothing store. I wasn't entirely sure why he wanted a dress, or what he wanted all these clothes for. A fluffy and comfy looking jacket, so many nice things, I hope the colours are what he wanted, I just chose whatever looked nice...

The price of this shop was much higher, horror filled my core as I watched the amount go up. The machine kept beeping as the hundreds of dollars increased. The cashier folded it all up into paper bags.

The screen showing the price, I gripped the handbag and rifled through it, eyeing the $800 worth of clothes and shoes. I took a deep breath and handed over the notes, much to the sellers surprise. He took the money and put it through, glancing at me in confusion. I quickly left.

I then went to get the groceries, the trolley heavy and stuffed full with purchases. There seemed to be plenty of money left, so I entered a bargain store. I examined a hat rack, scanning through it. I picked up a broad brimmed hat, it looked like it could be made from straw, a nice blue ribbon around it. I grabbed a fluffy cotton scarf.

I noticed a rack of clothes and approached it, a nice leather jacket, a white flowery shirt and long black jeans. A really cute look. Shyly I grabbed it, surely Daryl won't notice right? My slight moment of confidence fell as soon as I walked out the store, throwing on the scarf and hat to obscure my face a little.

I took deep breaths, staring at the bargain bag, hidden behind the paper bags that held the clothes. I felt my phone vibrating, a fun pop song beginning to play. I pulled it from my pocket, staring at Juliette's picture. I slowly swiped it, putting it on loud speaker as I sat it atop the bags.

"You answered! Hallelujah! Taylor! I don't have much time, class will start soon, but tell me, how are you?!" Squealed Juliette. I smiled, my nervousness vanishing.