Back in action

I couldn't help constantly staring at the messages, pulling myself deep under the blankets and rubbing my nose. Tears no longer falling, the events of that shower burning in the back of my mind, begging me to think about it. I shook my head, smiling softly, forcing myself to have this happy moment and not let go of it so easily.

"I know I'm not the brightest Juliette... But you still love me don't you?" I mumbled, staring at her last message, I want to say it to her, I want to hold her hand and be safe... Daryl has seemed to be nicer, I'm not sure how long it's going to last, it's the small and confusing things, like him ruffling my hair, to him assuring me.

Kevin and Toby have also done such a sharp 180. Though I suppose they had nicer moments earlier on...

I groaned and shoved my phone away, unsure what apps Daryl has touched and if he's seen anything embarrassing. I know he's seen me stripped down to my underwear, he's seen me weak and beaten... I touched my sore face and pulled myself out from under the blankets.

I should get to stretching and doing exercises, maybe if I get stronger, I can defend myself from creeps trying to ruin my errands. I need to be useful, I need to stay healthy and alive, so when I see Juliette, my mum and all those people from home again, they won't need to be worried. Dad though... I don't think I want to face him again.

I spent the last days stretching and exercising, sending and receiving new, cute little small talk texts with Juliette. A strange new hope blossoming in me.

Yet now, as I stared at the ceiling, my time is up, my rest is done, my bruises still ache and I don't feel ready, terrified and shaking. I'm going to be facing everyone, Hunter will be a huge risk and I don't know if I could mentally cope. I can't even look at Kevin without seeing my blood on his hands now.

The sun warming the top of my head as I lay under the blankets. That hope struggling to surface, the apprehension trying to snuff it out. I took a deep breath, my phone vibrating in my hand. I examined the screen, it was mum...

Mother Dearest

Mum: I don't know if this will get to you, but please be ok.

I took a deep breath, unable to respond still. I turned the screen off at the sound of a car crunching over gravel. The machinery still loud and muffled through the walls. I curled up, peaking at the doorway as footsteps crunched closer.

A knock was heard on the door, making me flinch. I hesitated to answer, not sure who it was. Gripping the blanket and my phone tighter. The door jiggled and opened with a quiet creak.

"You really should answer doors when people knock" came Daryl's tired voice. He dosen't sound as warm today, I sat up and looked to him.

"I'm sorry... I'm a little nervous" I stammered, choosing honesty as my defense, he seems to like it when I'm completely honest.

"Understandable. You are going to see more of Hunter. I won't let him hurt you again. Now hurry up, eat something then change, you have 10 minutes" he said, his voice firm and controlled, harsh eyes scrutinising me. He turned and shut the door, his feet crunching away.

I jumped up and changed, then hurried to eat and drink, my hands shaking. I put the necklace back on, stuffing my phone into my pocket. I itched to ask Juliette for her support, but it would only concern and scare her.

I sat in the passenger seat as he smoothly drove, my fingers shaking. Staring at the world passing by in the silence.

"You will shower. You will then run some small and easy errands. Shopping for the neutral zone supplies is first." He stated, pulling into the garage, I nodded my head. He was silent, yet I could feel his harsh gaze on me.

"I prefer you to respond. You know that." He stated coldly, I gulped and grabbed my seatbelt.

"Ah, I'm sorry. Yes sir" I stammered, he ruffled my hair, I tried not to flinch.

"Relax. I have men making sure Hunter dosen't do anything. Giving them permission to defy Hunter for your safety. You should be glad" he chuckled, the softening tone a surprise. I looked to him, he gave a small grin.

"Defy Hunter? Isn't that a bad thing for their safety?" I questioned, thinking of Jarrod and the Hulk. He sighed and left the car, I quickly followed, I don't want to put those two in danger, they've been pretty nice to me, even when following orders.

"Big boss personally agreed to my rules, if Hunter harms any of my people when they're following that order, he will be taken care of." He explained, the lack of emotion terrifying. Though it made me feel a little better, that people will be making sure he dosen't try to kill me again.

"Hurry up, quit standing there" he snapped. I jumped in surprise.

"I'm sorry" I stammered, he chuckled and I headed for the shower quickly cleaning myself in warm water, hesitating slightly, the memories of that shower a few days ago still fresh. I shook my head, redressing and hurrying out, ignoring the painful aches as I moved to fast.

"Take your trolley from the garage. This bag has all the money, would give you my card, but I'll need it to deal with some private transactions" he stated. I grabbed the handbag he handed to me, a very fancy leather bag. I put it over my shoulder, looking to him curiously.

"I have sent you a map and list. Go to each place and pick up the things you need, everything is close, to not strain your ankle" he stated. I went to nod but hesitated.

"Uh... Yes... Uh sir" I stammered, he sighed and reached out to me, I flinched and closed my eyes. He fixed up the bag and tightened it a bit, so that it hung just under my armpit. He fixed up my shirt, stopping the leather strap from digging irritably into the bare skin of my shoulder.

"Get moving. You should buy yourself a hat or something as well. Cover up the bruises on your face better" he stated. I nodded, glancing up at him, he chuckled, shaking his head, before huffing.

"Be glad you're still just a kid" he sighed. I don't understand, why is he bringing that up? He scrutinised me as I stood there in confusion, uncertain what me being sixteen has to do with anything. His eyes hardened slightly.

"Move!" He barked, I jumped and ran to the garage. I grabbed the trolley and checked my phone, two new messages. A long list of a mix of office supplies and groceries, as well as a map with names on it.

I sighed and moved out of the garage, the warm sun on my body. A car pulling into the garage, stopping briefly, Toby leaning out to wave at me.

"Back to working, don't strain yourself to much" he called, he moved into the garage and I continued on. Unwilling to continue wasting more time.