Chapter 28: Backstory

Kimberly awoke in a hospital bed with a few of her family members around her looking worried. She looked around and said, "Don't tell me I died now... I didn't even get to tell Wyatt yet". Margaret shook her head and said " I guess the doctor was right, she does have a concussion. Lindsey looked down at her cousin and said "Don't worry, you're alive Kimberly, you're gonna be coming home with us in a few hours. You have a concussion and an entry wound that has broken your arm and the cuts obviously but other than that you're gonna be okay. Kimberly said, "What about Mom's house? What happens now that he's dead?". Margaret smiled and said, "The honest truth is that house belonged to both me and my sister who inherited it from our mother which she got from her parents who built it".

Margaret said," I'll hold onto it and pass it down to Lindsey and if she doesn't want it it'll go back to you". Kimberly nodded and said, "Good...I hope Wyatt's not worried". Lindsey said "Don't worry I called him and said" you drank too much and would call him in the morning". Kimberly frowned at them before Margaret said" I'm sorry for lying to him but It's not good to worry him right now... you're all right and as soon as you get out of here we're taking you home". Kimberly said "bullshit, you guys just wanna see Wyatt" and Lindsey said " well that and you can't drive with a concussion and a broken arm soo". Kimberly sighed and said"just don't be weird okay, he's not my boyfriend, at least not yet and I don't need you adding to the nervousness.

They both nodded before grinning at each other. After Kimberly had the bullet removed, her arm was put in a cast, she was given medication, and discharged. Upon leaving the hospital, the girls shared a nice dinner and toasted to Kimberly's mother. After finishing they headed out on the open road listening to some light music. About an hour into the trip, Margaret said "Kim, you still awake?" And Kimberly said, "Yes... I'm still riled up a bit from today". Margaret said," Since we're here I think it's time I told you the truth about your mother". Margaret said"Your mother knew the entire time she was wrong, in fact, she knew just how terrible of a man Charles was but she stayed. She did that because she needed the money to raise you and she did it for the safety of both of you".

She continued and said"Your mom's jobs sucked and she never made that much until one day a client she worked for approached her and showed interest in her. After a few dates here and there, he proposed and they got married. Unfortunately, about a year later, his ex-wife and children were killed in a car crash and that's when he became bitter. All he would talk about was his daughter Kenzie and how he missed her. Eventually, he started drinking and when he saw how much you reminded him of her I guess he started dumping on you". I'm not saying anything he did was justified, I'm just airing it out so hold your questions". Even though he hated you, his love for your mom was real, she cared for him and became his support. Eventually, due to his behavior, he was removed from the chairman of a company he and his brother Ray co-founded but out of pity he still paid his brother residuals".

Margaret drank some water and continued, saying"Your mother saw how he treated you and knew how bad it was but she didn't want to leave, partially because he threatened to have you hurt and the other half because she was in love with him or maybe she tricked herself into believing he was still the man she married". When you left, she felt miserable without a d she hid it all these years under false anger but secretly, she's been watching you from the sidelines and keeping track of you via me and Lindsey". She was too stubborn to admit it but she knew everything you said about him and her was true but she just didn't want to see it with her own two eyes...there was a point where I told her she needed to do it but she refused, it was like something in her didn't want to be alone or start all over again". She divorced your father because she was young and stupid and she regretted it and I guess she feared loneliness which is why she tried to hold onto both of you so tight".

Kimberly sat there, dazed before saying" That's some truly fucked up shit right there but I forgive her and I will remember all the good times she gave me". Margaret nodded and said," I think it's best that way sweetie". Kimberly nodded off to sleep and for the first time without Wyatt nearby, she slept peacefully and had an actual dream rather than a nightmare. Margaret called for Kimberly a few minutes later but Linsey smiled at her and said " I think she's sleep Mom...I guess we helped give her that closure she needed".