Chapter 6: Black and White

In truth, she used all the boys who drooled over her as puppets to play with, command, and discard as she saw fit. However Wyatt was different and while she did love him, she also saw him as someone lower and more pathetic to her, or so he appeared. After they stopped being friends, part of her was happy that her feelings could no longer block her from her true intentions. She used him as a whipping board to make herself feel good that at least her existence was higher than someone's but as she would come to realize later, it ate away at her and deprived her of a one-in-a-lifetime chance at true love. 

Her feelings were jumbled as part of her loved him and part of her wanted to use and berate him for her own sanity and in the end, she chose the toxic path rather than one that could've eased her pain and she forever hated herself for that. She still carried the scars of her stepfather's abuse and despite leaving the trauma, it seemed to still be ruining her life even now but for right now she wanted to forget and worry about it all on another day which she hoped in a sense, she wouldn't be here to see...she saw no way out of this mess.

[Flashback Dream sequence]

Kimberly awoke in her room back at her mother's house, she had been startled awake by her stepfather's yelling. He was having a tantrum because her mother had forgotten to get beer. As she looked at the time, it read 8 pm and despite the heavy rain, she could still hear every harsh word he said and her mother asking him to calm down. Eventually, it stopped and he heard footsteps get closer to her room until eventually, the door slammed open. Her stepfather said, "Get your lazy ass up and go out and buy me some fucking beer before I turn this motherfucker upside down". 

She nodded and quickly got up and grabbed her keys, ignoring the fact that she was about to head out in a severe storm".Everything went normal and she picked up the beer and cigarettes from the only store that carried that foul junk; "Liquor farm". All was calm until she headed down a dimly lit road since a tree had blocked the way she came and slammed into a large puddle which killed her engine. To make things worse, water had entered the cabin and soaked everything, including her phone. Thinking she could restart the engine once out of the water, she put the car in neutral, opened her door, and attempted for several minutes to push the car until another car approached.

After conversing with her rescuer Wyatt, she decided to just get a ride home from him since he offered. As she walked back into the house, her stepfather said"Where's the stuff and what took you so fucking long".She said, "My car got stuck in floodwaters and a friend gave me a ride home". He threw a lamp at her and yelled "bullshit, you were probably out there selling your ass you fucking slut...I mean look at ya, you can't cook or clean and you certainly ain't smart, so who the fuck would want ya, I know I don't".She sighed and walked away from him as her mother came running in and asked him to stop.

He pulled out a pistol and shot her 6 times and said"You couldn't even have a decent fucking child who can do a simple task... I tried to give you a chance but you're worthless too, so fucking lay there and die".Kimberly's heart dropped through her chest and she took off running up the stairs as he shot at her. She hid under the bed in her mother's room overtaken with fear, that bastard had just killed her mother and she was next. As he searched the house, calling out for her and making taunting comments. As he walked into her mother's room and stood next to the bed, Kimberly took this as her opportunity and pulled his leg as hard as she could; tripping him.

She got up and darted for the door but before she made it out the room, she heard a bang as something hot and sharp pierced her leg. She started limping but managed to make it down the stairs and out of the house before collapsing and crawling as best she could. As she neared the street, she felt a foot press on her back and something against her skull. Tears ran down her cheeks as she closed her eyes and waited for the life-ending bullet to pierce her skull. After a few seconds she heard him say"I hope you find a man who wants you...in hell" and then bam,she shot awake in her bed.

Her heart was racing and she was covered in sweat but thank god it was a dream...well everything except the shooting was but everything else was a typical day during her childhood and it was still ruining her life. Seeing that she was not going to be sleeping anymore this evening, she got up and decided to work on her own story she had been writing in her spare time.

Meanwhile, Wyatt had just finished reviewing Kimberly's revisions and to his surprise, they actually made sense and did improve the scenes. Before days end, he had rewritten the first few scenes in which Frankie had to choose between murder or being murdered and had even improved some of the other aspects of the story as well. After stowing away his paperwork, he shut down his laptop and headed back to his home for the night. Since he was feeling good tonight, he decided to play some video games and order some pizza. 

The evening seemed fun until something in his brain snapped and he began wondering about what exactly she meant by abused at home. He also began to question if he was actually the bad guy for jumping to conclusions all those years ago. He knew he had a right to feel the way he does after what she did to him, no doubt but he began to question whether 5 years later he still had the right to not hear her out". He began questioning if maybe he should be a bit more reasonable until he shook it off...he eventually decided that the only person who could answer that would be her and her alone.