Chapter 12: Drifting and Cracking

Wyatt packed up his clothes and transcripts and put them into his car, at last after rehabilitating Kimberly over a 4 week period, it was finally time to go home. After packing up, he went back inside and decided to leave around 12 since that's when he had to go to the studio and submit his draft. He had to admit that the last 4 weeks hadn't been all that bad with her, in fact, it was nice having someone around who was funny and a bit childish without trying. While it did annoy him, there were also times that it didn't but he did know one thing for sure...she had definitely changed for the better, even before he had started helping her.

While he couldn't say he liked her company, he couldn't say he hated it either...he was still in the middle on his feelings about considering her as a friend but he indeed did warm up to her and even though he didn't want to admit to himself, he enjoyed the time spent with her. He was snapped out of his thoughts by Kimberly sitting in his lap and pulling him into a kiss. She rocked her hips against his as she planted kisses down his neck. Wyatt struggled to resist but managed to push her away before standing up and saying "W-what the hell are you doing?" and she blushed and said, "I-I can't thank you enough for saving me so I thought I would -". 

Wyatt cut her off and said, "N-no thanks...It's not that I don't find you attractive, it's just that sex should be special and you shouldn't go around doing it with just anyone okay?".Kimberly nodded before rushing over to hug him again and saying "I'm going to miss you". Wyatt smiled and said, "I think I might miss you too but I'll see you again on the next project Miss Editor". The two hung out until noon when Wyatt, gave her one last hug and left out the door. As he left, so most of Kimberly's momentum but that was okay, she knew he wasn't going to be around forever...she was going to have to use what he taught her to motivate herself and survive.

Wyatt arrived home after 40 minutes and found everything exactly where he left it. He immediately felt lonely since he was used to Kimberly's lively energy everywhere and all over the place. Even though it sucked, it was part of life, maybe now that he was on hiatus, he could go fraternize and get himself a girlfriend. Even though he enjoys and tolerates Kimberly's company, he still has that resentment that he couldn't let go of...he still felt weary of something and what he didn't know was that those feelings of distrust would soon be proven valid. Following the submission of his story for publishing, Kimberly was removed as his editor and reassigned back to the office.

Despite not seeing him on the regular anymore, she still kept up with everything, including her support group yet she still felt her confidence and drive leaking away. The same thing was happening to Wyatt as well but he was determined to rise past it but as for Kimberly...she wasn't taking it well. While going in defensive mode to protect himself, Wyatt didn't realize that he cut off Kimberly's only lifeline she really had; him. Feeling abandoned and alone, she began to question whether everything he said was real or was it all a lie just to help her so he could slip away and run without worrying about her anymore?". A million theories ran in her head and she didn't know what to believe but one thing was certain, he wasn't answering her calls. She figured that if she went over there he probably would pretend not to be there as well so that would be pointless as well.  Even though both adults tried to fight it, it was an inescapable fact that they had feelings brewing for one another, and slowly but surely these feelings were taking over.

Another week passed and still nothing was heard from him until one of her coworkers; Molly called. As she answered the phone, she was greeted by a highly excited molly who said "Did you hear how big a hit Wyatt's story is?"...all of us got bonuses and we've been assigned as his personal team now". Kimberly said"I got the bonus but I wasn't notified about being part of that team". Molly says" that's weird because he requested you and all of us...I wonder why they skipped you...I guess there's probably another client who needs you". Kimberly sighed and said, "Maybe, anyways I'll figure it out later, bye".

Kimberly had enough for the day and opened up her black lock box again and pulled out a few edibles. They were legal and less harmful than what she had been doing before and without hesitation, she ate them and laid down, feeling overwhelmed and hurt. As if karma had a role, she got to see how it feels to be hurt by someone close and it didn't feel good at all, in fact, she felt like everything she and him worked for had come undone. She felt unwanted and worthless, like she was better off dead but what she didn't know was that later that night tragedy would strike and her wish for death just might come true.