CHAPTER 33

Gia stood there looking at the city. It truly was a remarkable view. Roger had done well.

The door opened once again, and Gia turned around to find Gino standing there. "I'm worried about you, Boss," Gino said. He closed the distance between them.

"There's no need for you to worry about me. I'm fine. I'm always fine, no matter what happens," she said, and forced a smile.

"I'm sorry, Boss." Gino moved even closer to her. He wanted to comfort her, but he didn't know how to do that for her.

"Don't be sorry. I have to go..." she broke off and cleared her throat to fight the knot that had settled inside it. "I have to go and see—" She was cut off that time by Gino's arms going around her body and holding her tight against him.

Gia didn't fight him. She didn't have it in her to keep fighting. She was so tired. Her heart was a tattered mess. She had nothing left but her empire to run.

"I'm here, Boss. I'm always here. You can lean on me," Gino said softly against her ear.

She hugged him tight then pulled away. "I know, Gino. I have to go and tell the McBane clan that their fearless leader has just traded them for a woman and his father."

"It can wait until tomorrow, Boss."

Gia shook her head no. She had to keep moving or she would fall apart and one more piece of her would be lost forever.

She watched Gino leave her office and close the door behind him leaving her alone...always alone.

She was Giada Benedetti. She was the strongest woman any man had ever laid eyes on. She didn't have the luxury to fall apart and stay in bed for days and feel sorry for herself because another man had hurt her and tried to play her for a fool. No. She was the Benedetti Boss, and her Family and business came first, her aching and tattered heart would just have to wait.

Her phone rang and she saw that it was Gio calling her. He had been calling her less and less and Gia didn't know how she felt about it.

She missed him. He had been everything to her for so long, she had found it difficult to live her life without him, but she had found a way alongside Kade. She had thought that he would help her forget about Gio but all he had done was add to her pain. Now she was back to square one, stuck with feelings that she didn't want to have. Feeling once again that her body was broken. Kade had made her believe that it didn't matter, that she wasn't broken but she had been a fool to believe anything that had come out of his mouth.

"Hello?" Gia answered wanting to hear his voice.

"How are you Giada?"

"Fine thanks and you?" She lied. She was far from being fine. She missed him. Her heart ached for him, and her body longed for his touch as it longed for Kade's touch. She was beyond help. She was a woman lost in her own pain and a dream that would always turn into the nightmare she was cursed to live.

"We need to meet. It's about Donato and it's important. Tonight, at Donato's house, Ten O'clock." Gio had his business tone and it hurt her that he had resorted to speaking to her as if she were just another businesswoman. As if they had shared nothing.

"I'll be there," she said and cut the call. She let tears roll down her face and for the first time in a very long time she didn't fight them. She leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes and let the pain and anger and disappointment seep out of her. She was so tired of fighting. So exhausted of the pain and anger she had been lugging around for such a long time. She was even considering handing the Family over to Anthony and disappearing and trying to have a normal life for once.