CHAPTER 5

Dante sat across from the older woman who looked like life had passed her by without fair warning. Her face was weather beaten or so it seemed, and her body seemed frail. Captivity hadn't done her any good and it hadn't made her loosen her tongue either. So far, Dante had only deprived her off food and water giving her the bare minimum while keeping her in a cold and damp room. If he didn't kill her first, the conditions he had her in surely would. Never had he seen a woman so determined to protect another risking their lives as she was doing and for what? Money? Protection for her family?

What would money matter if the woman was dead? What did protection matter for her family if Dante could get to them as well?

He had never seen such loyalty and such honor in a woman no less.

"Tell me, why do you keep protecting him? surely you know by now that I can get to your family. I can get to that pretty little daughter of yours, what about that ex-husband and his new little wife and twins? What do you think about them joining you in here? Or should I just bring the children to beg you, to plead with you for their lives?"

She just watched him through tired eyes. She had had a good life and her daughter was safe. She knew very well that Dante was bluffing about finding her. Her safety had been ensured years ago and she would never open her mouth and betray the Family that had protected her and her daughter all that time. She would gladly die knowing that her loyalty was never broken. Her ex-husband was no longer her concern. He had chosen his life before she had made the choice to pledge her loyalty to the Benedetti Family. Whatever Dante chose to do to him and his family it was on them. She washed her hands of them. They were not her concern.

Dante was beginning to lose his patience. He was not one to beat a woman to make her confess but he was not above it either. He did what had to be done and right now he needed the name of that child.

He put on his leather gloves and struck the woman across the face with an open hand. Not a whimper came from her. He struck her again and he got the same result.

The woman was formidable, he had to give her that.

"Why do you protect them? Why so much loyalty? Flip on them and I will guarantee a life of comfort and safety for your daughter and for you."

She lifted her head and looked in Dante's cold and unfeeling eyes. "My daughter is safe and always will be. My comfort is knowing that you will never know the name of that child. Kill me now. I will never speak again."

***

Anthony and Gia were in position when the morning hostess, Laura showed Dante into the office.

"Good morning." Anthony stood up and extended his hand. Dante took it and gave him a strong and sturdy shake. "What can I do for you?" Anthony took his seat once more.

Dante sat on the couch in front of the desk and looked at him for a while before he spoke. "I was shocked to hear that Benedetti had adopted you, taken you under his wing, and made you his heir. It's not common in our world but not unheard of."

Anthony nodded his head in agreement but kept quiet. Bruno had taught him that men like Dante would eventually reveal more than they intended to just to hear themselves talk. Men like Dante were under the false impression that they held all the power. Silence was golden in their world, and some knew it better than others.

Dante was anxious to find out everything he could, and Anthony would let him talk and ask his questions.

"Some intriguing news has recently made its way to my ears, and I was wondering if perhaps you could shed some light and tell me if the news I've heard, is true or false." Dante shifted on the couch and pulled his suit jacket down trying to keep the fat that he was uncomfortable well hidden.