CHAPTER 20

No matter how awful Gia felt she always dressed impeccably. She was the picture of elegance. Her hair was up in a high ponytail and her minimal make-up made her honey eyes strike out even more.

When the elevator reached the fifteenth floor, Gino and Marco got out first and waited for Gia to get out and then Trent followed. They had every move down to a science. They were always attentive and anticipating her every move, so no mistakes were made. Gia had spent a whole day with them teaching them how to do it. It was an art form really. It was a dance they executed perfectly.

Gia came upon the reception area, but she didn't stop to be announced, she was the Benedetti Family Boss after all.

"Miss! You can't just walk back there! Miss!" A brunette dressed in a cheap pant suit followed her, but Trent blocked her from getting close to Gia.

Gia didn't knock on Gio's door just like he never knocked when he entered her offices.

When Marco opened the door and Gia walked inside her body went cold and rigid. A thin and beautiful woman stood next to Gio leaning over on his desk pointing at something on a document with her thin arm snaked around the back of his chair. Her overly exposed breasts were a bit too close to his head and her hip touched his arm. The woman looked up as did Gio, but she didn't move. She kept her stance as if she were making a claim on Gio.

"What papers do I need to sign?" Gia asked not moving an inch. If she got close to the woman, she would rip her overly made up face off and get her clean-up crew involved without a second thought.

"This is Marta," Gio said, looking up at the woman and smiling. "My personal assistant."

"I bet," Gia said under her breath, but Gino and Marco caught it. Their faces were stoic.

"And who is she?" Marta asked as if the woman was jealous by Gia's presence there.

"Boss, Giada Benedetti," Gino said in a harsh tone. "You will show respect."

Gia was proud of Gino. He said what Gio should have said. Gia watched as Marta leaned closer to Gio as if asking him for his protection.

Gio stood up and glared at Gino who did not back down. "You will not speak to Marta that way. Understood? She deserves respect."

"She deserves a bullet in her head for disrespecting your future wife," Gino shot back.

"Know your place!" Gio boomed slamming his hand on his desk making Marta start.

Gia simply stood there watching the whole thing with amusement.

"I know my place, I answer to my Boss not you," Gino said with a calm voice. He would not give Giovanni the satisfaction of rattling him.

Marta moved closer to Gio and took his arm and said, "Calm down, it's not necessary to get upset over something so insignificant."

Gia watched Gio pat her hand and sit back down. Marta moved her arm over his shoulders and didn't move away, instead she moved closer to him and Gio allowed it.

Marco was about to unholster his gun, but Gia gave a faint shake of her head. Nothing that was going on at that moment was worth it. She had seen what she needed to see to make her decision much easier. She stood there looking at Marta who had one arm over Gio's shoulder and a hand over her belly in a protective manner.

"The lawyer has drawn up the marriage contract. You need to sign it," Gio informed her with a detached tone.

Gia's heart shattered at the realization. She took a few steps closer and looked directly into Marta's blue eyes. "Is it his?"