CHAPTER 18

Donato reached inside a wooden box on the end table and took out a cigar. He struck a match on the side of the matchbox and puffed the cigar after cutting the butt off.

Gia took a deep breath and took the sweet smell of the cigar in and closed her eyes. She thought of Gio and his arms and his lips and her eyes began to water. How could she still love a man that had betrayed her?

"Bruno began to speak of you to his ranks at first. Some were against the idea, and some were for the idea. When the ones against were told that you would marry Giovanni and the two Families would be united, that's when everyone was alright with you taking over."

"So, because they had the guarantee that I would marry a Drago they were alright with a simple woman taking over assuming that Gio would take the reins and not me. I was to be his wife and nothing more. A goddamned accessory with the right last name, keeping the old ways alive."

Donato nodded his head yes. He wasn't even trying to hide the fact that everyone had assumed that she would fail.

"We were all pleasantly surprised to say the least. Tell me why you're really here, sweetheart."

"If I don't marry Giovanni, what will happen to the Benedetti Family?"

"It will be attacked by other Families. You are a wonderful Boss but sadly in our world you are also just a woman. You will no doubt come out on top in a war against another Family until you are faced with a stronger Family. All over the world weak and strong Families are uniting to create a strong front. Only the strong survive, sweetheart and I will not be Godfather forever. Gio will have to earn the title and with you by his side I know he will. The advantage that you two have on all other Families is that you truly love each other. You know each other so well. Don't make any rasher decisions. I know you have taken my men out of your Family and threatened theirs, like any Boss would. You don't have to marry Gio, sweetheart. But he will marry that is for sure. He needs an heir, be it man or woman, her needs and heir. Dante is an imbecile, and he will run the Family to the ground and the only way to ensure that he does not do that is to make sure Giovanni marries and has a child. It is our way of life."

Gia didn't know how to feel at the moment. It was true that she loved Giovanni. She adored the man, but he had lied to her. It didn't matter that he had done it to keep her safe. He had taken her trust and broken it like he had done with her heart.

"I will marry Gio and unite our Families, but you have to guarantee that I will not be pushed aside. This is all I have ever known and if you take it from me, you might as well kill me."

"Let's make a beneficial deal for both of us then," Donato said taking another puff of his cigar.

"What kind of deal?"

"I will make sure you stay in control of your Family alongside Gio, and you will give me a great-grandchild right away. I don't have too many more years left in me and I would like to see him or her before I die."

Gia let out a loud sigh. "I'm sure you know about my little challenge, right?"

"I do, but I also know that you can get pregnant. We sent your medical history to a specialist in Germany, and he assured us that you would get pregnant. It might take a little more work." Donato wiggled his thick eyebrows making Gia laugh. "But you will get pregnant. Look at what you have done so far."

"What's that?"

"The impossible my dear. You have kept your Family on top for a year. A little thing like getting pregnant should be a walk in the park for you."

Gia laughed. She didn't know why exactly but she did. "It's a deal Grandpa D."

Donato stood up smiling at Gia. "I like that name. You and your children are the only ones I will allow to call me that, though. Now come give your grandfather a hug."