CHAPTER 24

There was a knock on his door, and he hoped that it was Gia. He had a smile on his face wanting to see her so badly.

Marta opened the door and walked inside holding her barely swollen belly and smiling at him. "I thought we could go out to dinner and discuss what we're going to do about our baby?"

Gio glared at her. "The only thing we're going to do about that baby is wait until it's born and take another paternity test and see if it is in fact mine."

Marta went to sit on the couch and gasped as she was about to sit down holding her belly tighter.

"What's wrong?" Gio asked.

"Nothing, I'm fine. I was just wondering if you were going to be part of your child's life that was all. You always told me how much you wanted a family and I thought—"

Gio ran a hand through his brown hair and sighed. "Fuck Marta, you really know how to pin my balls against the fucking wall. You knew that I was never going to settle down with you. You knew it was temporary, why the fuck weren't you more careful?"

"Oh, yeah, because I fucked myself, right? Come on Gio you fucked me that night and you were the one that couldn't wait if I remember correctly and fucked me anyway."

Gio growled out his frustration. "It was a fucking mistake and I fucking pulled out! It doesn't matter, Marta. What matters is Gia and our baby. You need to get your head on your damn shoulders straight and get away from here. Your mere presence causes more stress than I want around Gia. I'll give you enough money to terminate or to keep it and money to live off of for a few years until you decide what you want to do with your life. This shit you got going is not flying, Marta. I want you gone, and I want you away from Gia. Go to Chicago or go to L. A. or go to hell, Marta but just go." Nothing more was said, and he went to his desk and picked up the landline. He instructed security that Marta was to be escorted out and her belongings shipped to her address. The next call he made was to Gia. He had had enough. He wanted his woman at home with him that night or he would go to where she was. He refused to spend one more night without her.

As Gia walked inside the Plaza's penthouse, her phone rang. Not bothering to look at who was calling, she handed her phone to Gino and headed back to her bedroom. She was feeling awful, and she needed to rest. The stress was getting to her.

"Hello?" Gino answered her phone.

"Where is she Gino? And don't tell me she's not available. I need her." Gio tried not to sound like the broken man he was, but it was hard for him. He missed her. He missed her skin; he missed her lips, and he missed holding her. He missed the way she would furrow her brows when she was in deep thought. He missed the sound of her breathing while she slept. He just missed her.

"She's at the Plaza and I think you should come and see her. She's not doing so good, and she keeps refusing to go to the doctor. Maybe you can talk some sense into her." Gino knew that Gia would be upset he had just done that, but she needed to realize that she was running herself ragged.

"I'm on my way." Gio cut the call and made his way to the Plaza.

Gia undressed, showered, and put on her panties and nightgown before getting into bed. She hadn't felt that bad since the first week she had taken over about a year ago. Her entire body had gone out of whack then and she had ended up in bed for a week. She couldn't afford to end up in bed for a week now. She had too many things to do and she had to soldier through like always.

Almost asleep, Gia felt her bedroom door open, and she sighed. "Gino, I'm fine. Just go to bed and I'll see you in the morning, just keep Gio away for now. Tell him I'm working at the restaurant or something."