Chap 20: Gift

The birds flew past him, the sun shone down on him and the scent of nature relaxed him. It was 7AM in the morning - which explained why there were barely anyone roaming the streets other than Kageyama. Only a few shops were still open. The rest were either closed, or about to begin operating. He clutched onto the carton of milk that he was drinking before throwing it into a trashcan nearby. 

As he continued to make his way to his beloved school, the delicious smell of sweet treats infiltrated his nostrils, making him pause his movements. He turned his head to face the source of the sweet aroma. "Caketsy!" Was what the large neon sign displayed on the glass window of the store read. 

Kageyama entered the store just to take an innocent peak. He made his way to the counter, scanning all the cakes, cupcakes and donuts which were put on display in a glass case.

"Can I help you, sir?"

Kageyama averted his gaze from the treats to the lady infront of him, who was standing behind the counter. "Oh, one second please." He replied. 

Kageyama continued to scan the sweet delicacies, eyeing each one of them and contemplating whether to get one to munch on his way to school. However, his eyes landed onto a specific cake and his decision was already made.

"I'll take the strawberry shortcake to go please." He pointed at the cake through the glass.

"Sure," the lady smiled.

Although there were many other options like chocolate brownies, sugar donuts, and even, the ultimate blueberry cupcakes... strawberry shortcake had taken up all the space in his mind. It reminded him of someone - a special someone. 

He only had one person in mind.

【☆】★【☆】

Class 4. Kageyama managed to bring himself to class 4. Tsukishima's homeroom class.

He peeked into the class from the open doorway, hiding half of his face and the rest of his body behind the wall. In his view showed Tsukishima who was sitting down at his desk, quietly reading a thick book. His chin rested atop his palms and his elbow used the table as support. The sun beamed down on the middle blocker; making him look magical. Tsukishima fixed his gaze from his book to the doorway, but no one was there. He shrugged it off and continued to indulge himself in his wordy book.

Meanwhile, Kageyama's heart raced as he hid behind the wall, clutching the small box of strawberry shortcake to his chest. 

"Phew, I was almost caught." He whispered to himself.

He stuck his whole head out from the wall, peeking once more at the sight of his beautiful boyfriend. This time, Tsukishima was gazing out at the window. His chin rested atop his palm and the bright sunlight highlighted his enchanting golden eyes and sharp jawline. Kageyama used the wall as a shield from Tsukishima's sight. He stared at the box of strawberry shortcake which he held in his hands, contemplating his decision. 

"Should I give it to him now?"

"I can give it to him during lunch..."

"Actually, why am I even here?"

After many debates with his thoughts, he finally decided that he'd give the cake to Tsukishima later on during the day. Maybe during volleyball practice? During lunch? Or, when they walk home together? He doesn't know when either. He turned his body to the left, but flinched when he realised who was standing before him.

"Tsukishima..?"

"King, what are you doing here?" His golden eyes locked onto the setter's.

"I- uh... well..."