Chapter 12: Running away

Tsukishima sat crossed, his back leaning against the wall, drowning out the sounds of birds chirping with the music from his headphones. Whenever he felt like it, Tsukishima would eat his lunch outside of the school building. The blonde had this one spot he would always go to, it was quiet, peaceful, and empty.

Perfect.

"Tsukishima." The blonde turned his head to the direction of the voice.

"King?" He took off his headphones, "what are you doing here?" Tsukishima continued. 

"That girl. Who was she?" Kageyama's gaze locked onto the middle blocker's enchanting golden eyes, almost burning him alive with his death stare.

"Girl?" Kageyama nodded. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me Tsukishima! That girl, in the hallway!" The blue-eyed boy yelled, fists clenched. 

"Oh... that girl... why does it matter to you?" 

Kageyama was taken aback by the blonde's response.

Shit.

A sudden wave of realisation hit the setter. What was he doing here? Why was he angry? Why was he yelling at Tsukishima?

"Me? Well- I, uh... umm-" Kageyama stuttered, to which, Tsukishima let out a soft giggle in response. 

"Wait... don't tell me you're jealous, king." The blonde laughed, sending Kageyama into a pink blushing mess. 

"Shut up!" The setter yelled, stomping towards the empty spot next to Tsukishima, angrily sitting next to the tall blonde, with crossed arms and furrowed eyebrows; avoiding eye contact. Tsukishima let out a soft chuckle to the setter's anger, as he opened a pack of strawberry-flavoured pocky. To others, Kageyama's rage would be intimidating, but to Tsukishima, he found it adorable. 

"Want one?" He offered a pocky to the setter, "No!" The raven huffed. "Hmm.. okay then," the blonde shrugged, taking a bite of the strawberry breadstick. "Mmm.. so good," he teased the setter, to which, Kageyama turned his head to face the blonde beanpole, wearing an irritating look. He snatched the packet of strawberry pocky's out of the blonde's hand, and began munching on each of the strawberry-flavoured delicacies. 

"Hm. Thought so,"

"Shut up." Kageyama replied with his mouth full.

The setter aggressively chewed on each strawberry pocky, quickly devouring one after another, while Tsukishima admired the calm blue sky. Usually, people would observe the various different types of clouds, trying to identify the different shapes. However, Tsukishima wasn't that type of person. He was smart-alec, hitting people back with facts and statistics whenever an argument approached him. 

"Oh! It's a dragon," Kageyama broke the silence, pointing at a specific cloud. The blonde fixed his gaze to the direction the setter positioned his finger at, but he couldn't make out whatever 'dragon' the raven-haired boy had in mind. Since Tsukishima usually processed things using his left brain, while others could see cotton candy, or, even a lion hunting its prey, all the blonde could see was a normal, oddly shaped cloud.

Unamused, he grabbed the can of coke next to him, effortlessly opening the can, and sipping the fizzy drink. Tsukishima set the can on the grass, taking out his phone from his pocket, as his fingers fiddled with the device.

Meanwhile, Kageyama continued to devour his little snack. Keeping his eyes onto the pocky packaging which he held in his hands, mentally counting how many of his treats were left. However, his focus was interrupted by the song of a deep, soothing voice.