Chapter 89 - Saying goodbye

I kind of rushed this one so just bear with me.

"So this is their old house, huh?" Darry asked as everyone grouped up next to the porch steps. It had been many weeks since Y/n passed away and Dallas finally got out of his room so he cold see her house one last time before it got sold to a happy family.

"Yep." Sodapop answered as he led the gang up to the front door. Dallas looked to the floor with hesitation and sadness before he entered the house along with the others.

They all slowly followed Soda through the house, each one of them examining the rooms carefully. They looked from the white drop ceiling tiles to the green and blue painted walls lined with wainscoting and to the polished oak floors. After looking at the living room once more and after Two-Bit stole a gold ring he found on the floor, they all went upstairs.

Sodapop led them all though the halls and they first went to Matildas room on the right. Most of it was packed in boxes, all that had been left was the bed and a couple of trinkets. Darry looked around the room with tear filled eyes, he reminisced about the times he had spent with Matilda. He remembered everything from high school and on.

He examined the room carefully. He ran his hand over the white painted wood on her bed and the green floral wallpaper that almost seemed brand new. "What's this?" Steve asked as he picked up a notebook that had not been packed. Darry looked from the nightstand by her bed and over to Steve who began opening the notebook. Darry slowly walked over to him with furrowed eyebrows as he looked to him intently.

"I don't know." Darry spoke as he took the book from Steve's hands. He began flipping through the pages of the book with curiosity. "I think it's he diary or something like that." Darry answered as he read through the pages throughly. Steve let out a small chuckle but Darry slapped him in the arm, shutting him up quickly.

"What's it say?" Soda asked with a smirk as he led everyone else to crowd around Darry and the book. Darry laughed as he read through the pages. "She must've wrote this in high school." He stated with a grin. "She really liked you man." Two-Bit said as he pointed to a page that only talked about Darry. "Yeah..." Darry trailed off. "I liked her too, guess we just never noticed till later." He mentioned. They all continued to flip through the pages, looking at each one carefully.

"She was kinda creepy huh?" Steve asked with a smirk as he pointed to another page only about Darry. Darry once again slapped his arm, shutting him up in almost an instant. 

"Hey look!" Ponyboy demanded as he looked over Dallas's shoulder. He struggled to reach over but he pointed to a more recent page that caught his eyes. Everyone looked to it intently. "Huh." Darry said as he read through it. It was the page she wrote when she met the gang.

"Book 3. Page 71.                                   08/17/64

Dear Notebook,

Today I met Y/n's friends. She kept blabbering on about them after she had met them and I was excited to meet them too.

She never really got along with anyone and I'm happy to see that she finally has some real friends. We've been inseparable since we were kids. I remember setting my eyes on my little sister the day she was born, September 12th 1948, I was so excited. Ever since then, I've considered her to be my best friend and I love her.

I've always wanted the best for her, and sometimes I feel like I'm not enough, so it's nice to see her finally getting some new friends.

Anyways, I got to meet them today, and I also got to see an old friend. I now realize why she talked about them all so much, if I had been her, I wouldn't have stopped talking about them either. They sure are fun.

The highlight of the night though, is when I saw Darry. Darry. Ol' Darry Curtis, my best friend in high school. I sure do love the guy, even more than a friend. I've wrote about him before, so you already know how much of a crush I've had on him. When I'm not out with my friends and drunk, all I do is think about him.

Ever since we parted ways at the end of Senior year, I thought I'd never see him again. But there he was, standing flawlessly in the middle of the room. He sure hadn't changed much, except for the fact that his muscles were bigger. I couldn't take my eyes off of him the whole night.

In summary, the night was amazing, and I'm I'm going back there tomorrow. I sure am excited."

It read.

"She must've wrote that when she met us." Pony stated with a smile. "No shit Sherlock." Dallas muttered as he looked to Pony. Pony's smile faded at Dallas's word but he merely rolled his eyes in response.

Darry smiled at the page and continued to read the book as Sodapop led them out of the room and into y/n's room.

Dallas looked around and a wave of nostalgia came rushing over him. He tried his best to hold on his tears as he looked to the one stuffed animal that hadn't been packed. It was her old teddy bear. He picked the teddy bear up and ran his rough finger over the worn out fur.

"What's that Dal?" Two-Bit asked. "Your new best friend?" He continued jokingly. Dallas rolled his eyes and slapped Two-Bit in the shoulder. "Fuck off Two-Bit." He ordered as he continued looking at the bear. Two-Bit walked away quickly and began looking around the room more along with the gang.

"She was really good at painting." Johnny stated as he stood with Pony in the corner, both admired the art together. Dallas turned around and walked over to them, the bear still in hand. "I wonder why her mom didn't pack them up and take them with her." Soda stated as he walked over to them. "She was pretty shitty." Dallas stated. Everyone nodded their heads in understanding as they continued to admire the art.

Soon enough everyone surrounded the corner and looked at the paintings. Dallas was once again intrigued by the wilting rose that was dark and mysterious looking. He once again held back his tears as he remembered y/n. After looking at it for awhile he took it down so he could take it with him along with the bear.

"Hey Pony look at this." Johnny said as he pulled out the drawing of Ponyboy that had been neatly folded in the drawer. Everyone turned to him and Pony grabbed the paper out of his hand. "Is that me?" He asked. "I think so." Johnny responded. "Why do you think she drew me?" Pony asked with confusion. "I don't know". Johnny shrugged.

"Looks a lot like you Pony." Two-Bit mentioned as he took the paper from his hand. "Yeah it looks a lot like a horse." Steve joked as he grabbed the paper out of Two-Bits hand. "Hey!" Pony yelled as he ran towards Steve. Everyone laughed as Pony fought to take the drawing from him.

They all looked around the room one more time before leaving. Darry had the notebook in hand and Dallas took home the teddy bear and painting, still holding back his tears.