Chapter 42 - What is it?

I had planned on this chapter happening a bit later, but I felt like now was a good time. So here ya go! :)

I popped up from my bed as I heard the phone ring. I ran over to it and picked it up. "Hello?" I asked. "Hey Y/n." It was James. After the art project we had done together, we became pretty good friends. He was a lot like me and we got along pretty well.

"Hi James." I greeted him. "Ya wanna hang out?" He asked. I thought for a minute. "Sure." I said with a smile on my face. "Alright, I'll be over in a little bit." He said with a chuckle in his voice. "Alright." I said as I hung up.

I waited for about fifteen minutes as I stared into the mirror. I took out the box of cigarettes that Dallas had given me and looked at them. I laughed to myself as I flipped the box around and looked at every little detail of it. "What a dick." I said to myself as I quietly chuckled. I told myself I hated Dallas with every bit of my heart. The way he teased me or got me a box of cigarettes for my birthday. Yet I chuckled at every little annoying thing he did and loved it.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I heard a knock on the door. I jerked my head towards the door as it slowly opened. I saw James standing behind Matilda. "Your friend is here." Matilda said as she moved to the side. "Hey James." I said as I got up from my chair. "Hey Y/n." He greeted me. "What's do you want to do?" I asked as he closed the door behind him. He shrugged. "Just hang out." He replied. "I was bored." He mentioned. I nodded my head and began thinking of what to do.

"Ooo I have something." I said as my eyes widened in excitement. "What is it?" He asked. "Come on." I said excitedly as I grabbed his wrist. He chuckles as I dragged him out the door and down the stairs. I quickly bursted through the front door and down the porch steps. I dragged James for awhile down the street, completely forgetting that he was behind me. "Slow down!" He yelled, laughing. "Slow down!" He yelled again. I slowed down, realizing that I was dragging him behind me. "Sorry." I apologized. He chuckled.

"Where are we going anyways?" He asked as he walked to my side. "Somewhere special." I said. He laughed. "Where's that?" He asked, looking to me. "You'll see." I said. He playfully rolled his eyes at me as we continued walking. I planned to take him to the north side, assuming he'd like it. Because he was so similar to me, I guessed that he would enjoy the north side as much as I did.

I smiled as we walked over the tracks. "You really like this place huh?" James asked, noticing my smile. "Yeah." I said, smiling, He shrugged. "What?" I asked, confused at why he shrugged. "It's just a bit surprising." He stated. I chuckled. "What is it?" James asked. "What is what?" I asked, confused. He laughed. "What do you like so much here?" He asked. I thought for a minute.

I liked a lot of things about the north side, especially the gang.

Pony was intelligent and very different from other greasers I had met or seen. He admired art and poetry, we both had that same interest. He also looked at stars and sunsets. He was very friendly as well, he kept his friends close to him and his family even closer. He looked at the good things in people, something not much people could do. He tried his best to stay positive and lighthearted, I liked that about him.

Johnny was a bit like Pony, he admired sunsets and stars the way Pony did. Though Johnny had those things in common with Pony, he was still a bit different. He was shy and hard to read, however when you got to know him he was pretty outgoing and friendly. He viewed his friends as family, something he never had. That was my favorite thing about him, when he got close to someone he loved them. He especially admired Dallas. Johnny loved Dallas like Dallas was his father. Johnny was special.

Darrel. Darrel was a hard worker. He cared for his friends and especially his family. He valued family and tried his best to put his family first in life. He was only twenty years old and had already been working full time jobs. Darell also loved Matilda, his high school friend, and his high school love. His eyes lit up when he saw her, and so did hers. They both loved each other. Even though I didn't know him well he was a pretty good guy.

Then there's Two-Bit. Two-Bit could light up your day with a single joke. Two-Bit was positive most of the time but when he needed to be serious he was serious. Two-Bit was probably the funniest guy I had ever met, one joke could put a smile on your face and laughter in your voice. Two-Bit danced and sung with me. He did things that's most people couldn't. He could be immature and serious at the same time. He was great.

Of course there's also Soda. Soda was sorta like the brother I never had. He cared for everyone and helped people off of their feet. He was reckless and got high on plain living. He was always positive, he always had a giant grin across his face. You could take one look at his gleaming white smile and you couldn't help but smiling yourself. A lot of people looked at him for his looks but never took the time to get to know him. He was an amazing guy that could bring you from sad to happy in one second.

Then there's Steve, Sodas best friend. Steve had lots of interests. He loved cars, girls, and especially chocolate cake. He ate so much chocolate cake that I didn't know how he wasn't dead yet. He was also reckless, just like Soda. He enjoyed playing poker and occasionally arm wrestled with Soda. He also enjoyed fighting in rumbles. He was pretty good at fighting and would win most fights he was in. He'd celebrate by doing flips off of cars and having a cold beer and slice of chocolate cake. He was a fun and crazy guy to be around.

Then there's Dallas. Dallas Winston. He was cold and tough. He put on a hard exterior that was near impossible to break. However when you finally break through his shell you see the soft side of him, the side of him that I loved. The side of him that loved Johnny. The side of him that smiled. The side of him that joked around. The side of him that would sacrifice himself for his friends. The side of him that had love for people. The side of him that called me doll.

I had never loved anyone before. I never felt butterflies in my stomach when I saw someone. I never turned red when I felt a slight touch from someone. I never felt attracted to anyone. I never smiled at someone every time I'd see them. However, Dallas changed me.

When I would see him standing in the corner smoking, I felt butterflies in my stomach. When he would pass by me and ruffle my hair, I would turn red. When I saw his dark greasy hair drooping over his forehead or his soft, dark brown eyes that gleamed in the light, my legs would turn to jelly. When he would come into the same room as me I would smile.

I kept telling myself it was nothing. I kept telling myself I hated him. I kept telling myself he was a jerk, a dick. I lied to myself for the longest time. Eventually though, I gave up on lying to myself, it was no use, I couldn't get rid of it. I tried and I tried but I knew I would always love Dallas. I loved Dallas. Dallas Winston. I loved him.

I found what I had loved about the north side. The gang. The gang brought out the best in me and I felt like myself around them. No high expectations or fake personalities. I loved the gang, they felt like family to me. Then also Dallas Winston. The guy I thought I could never love. But someway, somehow I fell for him. He was what I loved. Him, and the gang.

"I have a pretty good group of friends here." I told James. He nodded his head. "Will I get to meet them someday?" He asked. I laughed. "Of course." I said. He smiled. "Alright." He said.

"It's getting pretty dark." James mentioned. I looked to the sky, the sun had almost set. "That's a pretty sunset." I said as the sun got lower. James looked to the sky. "Yeah." He said. We stopped next to Buck's and began watching the rest of the sunset. I looked up to Dallas's window and thought of him.