Chapter 50 - Socs

"They took my car!" Matilda shouted. The street in front of our house was empty, her light blue corvette was gone. "Those shit heads took my car!" She yelled. "Guess we'll have to walk." I said as I picked up my bags and began walking. She groaned as she followed me.

We hauled our bags along the road as people gave us weird looks. I blew it off and went right along walking. Matilda however, looked nervous and uncomfortable. She didn't like when people stared at her in that way. She had a pretty good reputation on the south side, and she liked having it that way. I already ruined mine so there was no reason in caring.

We walked for awhile until we crossed the tracks into the north side. We struggled to carry our heavy bags as we grew weaker. We slowly walked along the dirt road, nearing the Curtis house. As we passed by the lot I saw Johnny searching the area. I stopped walking and stood still watching him, wondering what he was up to. "You gonna come Y/n?" Matilda asked. "Yeah, I'll be there in a bit." I answered as I dropped my bags.

She struggled to walk up to the Curtis house with our bags as I walked towards Johnny. "Whatcha doin Johnny?" I asked curiously. He perked up. "Looking for our football. I was gonna practice a bit." He answered. "What are you doin here?" He asked with a smile. "Running away." I said. His smile faded. "Running away?" He asked in confusion. I nodded. "Why?" He asked. I stood in silence. "You don't have to answer if you don't wanna." He continued in an apologetic tone. I chuckled.

"It's alright." I said as I rubbed my neck. "Our dad found out Matilda was pregnant last night. He threw both of us to the floor." I continued. He grew pale. "I had enough and suggested we run away." I answered. He looked to me with concern as he began shaking. "Are you alright Johnny?" I asked. He gulped. "M-My dads like that too." He stuttered. I looked at him in concern. I felt bad for him. "Sorry to hear that." I said. "It's nothin I can't handle." He stated as he stood more strongly. "You sure?" I asked. "Yeah." He replied. I nodded my head in understanding.

"You wanna help me find the football?" He asked. "Sure." I replied with a smile. He smiled back at me as we began looking for the ball. I searched around by the tall tree in the middle and in the shrubs in the corner. I found nothing. "You find anything yet Johnny?" I asked as I walked towards him. "Not yet." He answered as he searched through more shrubs and bushes. "I wonder where it could be." I mumbled. "We'll find it eventually. It's gotta be around here somewhere." He mentioned.

(This part is when Johnny gets beat up badly in the beginning of the book. He doesn't recognize the rings on Bobs hands because he's never been beat by him before. He's still scared though because they're socs.)

He slowly stood up from his crouching position by the shrubs. "It's usually-" He paused as he looked around. His eyes widened as he focused on something behind me. He went pale but stood strong. "Socs." He said quietly. I looked at him confused before I turned around. There was a blue mustang coming towards us. I looked inside the car but couldn't make out much of who was in it. All I saw was four figures, two in the front and two in the back.

He gulped as the doors of the car swung open. Four large boys came out, one of which I recognized. "Bob..." I quietly let out in an angry tone. "What do we have here?" Bob asked loudly as he strutted over, the others followed. I crossed my arms and tried my best to act tough, Johnny did the same as he stood strongly.

"Looks like some greasers!" One of the boys shouted. Bob came closer to us and stood us up. "Not just any greasers." Bob mentioned. "Hello there Y/n." He continued with a deadly smirk. "Bob." I greeted him confidently. "This one of your little friends?" He asked as his eyes darted over to Johnny. Johnny gulped. "What do you want?" Johnny asked as his voice quivered. "Yeah what do you want Bob?" I asked demandingly, trying to sound confident. Bobs eyes darted back to me.

He smirked daringly. "Watch." He said loudly. His eyes went to Johnny. One of the boys behind Bob grabbed Johnny by the shoulders as one came running towards me. I swiftly dodged the boy and started running after Johnny. "Johnny!" I yelled. Before I knew it, I was pinned on the floor, the boy had caught up to me and tackled me down. My face was shoved in the dirt. "Get off of me!" I yelled as I lifted my head from the ground.

I gasped for air as the boy sat on top of me. My stomach was burning, my dad really did a number on me and the boy wasn't helping. I thought I was gonna be dead in a couple minutes. I looked towards Johnny who was being held up by his shoulders. He kicked his legs, trying to get away from the boys grip. "Let go of him!" I shouted weakly. Bob cracked his knuckles as he got closer to Johnny.

"Stop it!" I yelled as Bob made a tight fist. He was about to punch him. Tears began welling up in my eyes as I watched Bob get ready to punch Johnny. Bob looked back to me with a devilish smile then brought his attention back to Johnny. I felt the tears run down my face as he punched Johnny. "Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!" I shouted. "Please!" I begged. He kept punching and punching. I could tell Johnny grew weaker with every punch, his eye slowly began to shut.

I shook, trying to get up, but it was no use. The boy on top of me was too big. "Stop!" I screamed as loud as I could. "Stop..." I trailed off as I sobbed. My stomach began to hurt more, it burned and stung. "Shut up!" The boy on top of me yelled as he shoved my face into the ground. I heard him laughing as he brought my head back up. I saw Johnny laying on the ground with bruises and cuts. He looked dead. "No!" I screamed as I felt tears streaming down my cheeks.

I tightly shut my eyes as I sobbed. The boy shoved my head back into the dirt then pulled it back up. He kept doing it, shoving my head down and bringing it back up. I began growing weaker the more and more he shoved me to the ground, my stomach grew more and more painful by the second. I was gonna die.