Chapter 57 - Tired

This chapter takes place four months after the last one. (Also wanted to say sorry that my updates have been pretty spontaneous. Sometimes I'm a bit more inspired than other times. Hope you enjoy this chapter!)

I tiredly stumbled out of my room as I had finished getting ready. I hadn't seen Dallas for about four months after he had gone to jail and it was killing me. All I thought about during the day and night was him and it tired me. Every morning, I'd get up slowly and nearly fall asleep as I got dressed. Then I'd go to school and do nothing but sleep. Thankfully, it was the weekend and instead of going to school I got to stay at the Curtis house, our new home.

Matilda had been four months pregnant and she was as tired as I was. But unlike me, she actually made the effort to wake up during the day. When I came out of the room that Soda offered me, I immediately went to sit on the ground while Matilda sat on the couch. As usual, all of us watched the television and ate cake while Darry read the newspaper on his rocking chair and Pony read in his room. Good times.

While we watched Mickey Mouse silently, Pony came out of his room and went right out the front door. I looked up to him as he left and assumed he was going to the movies or something like that. Usually when he went to the movies the gang wouldn't go with him, they didn't like the type of movies he'd watch. Pony was pretty mature for his age and didn't like stuff like Mickey Mouse, he liked more adult movies, ones that had meanings. Of course, the gang didn't like the movies. I imagine that if they went with Pony they'd be shaking in their seats, anxious to get out of the theater. 

I got up from the ground and ran out the front door, sprinting after Pony. He looked confused at me as I ran to his side. "What are you doing?" Pony asked. "I'm coming with you silly." I replied in a joking way. A smile came on his face. "Alright. Just know that you might not like the movie." He stated. I shrugged in response. "I don't have anything better to do." I mentioned. He nodded in understanding.

We walked along the dirt road in silence, both of us smoking. I kicked around a pebble in front of me as we got closer to the movie theater. I didn't know exactly what movie we were gonna see but I didn't care what it was, I just wanted to get out, do something. I assumed that maybe the movie and the walk to and from the theater, would wake me up. As we walked more and more, my eyelids began getting less and less heavy. I felt my body grow stronger and more alive with every step I took. I still couldn't get Dallas out of my head, but felt better.

For the past four months, I had been sitting on the ground, focusing on nothing else other than the television. In class I'd either fall asleep on my desk and get in trouble, or space out and not have a clue what was happening. I never knew that not seeing someone I care about for four months straight could take a huge toll on my mental health.

It may have not been the fact he was gone, but maybe the fact that he even had the thought to fight Bob. It clearly wasn't surprising that he would do such a thing, but it hurt to know that he was in jail because of me. The fact that I couldn't save myself or Johnny, got him in jail. I guess that's more of what filled my mind everyday. But the aspect that Dally wasn't there just made the whole situation worse. I knew that just by seeing his face everyday, I would've been comforted. His dark eyes, his mop of brown hair, his whiteish smile, his somewhat soft lips, his overwhelming smell of cologne, his everything.

By then I had realized how much I actually did love Dallas. I loved him so much that I couldn't get him out of my head. It's surprising how much knowing someone for about a year can change you so much. It was just about a year ago that I met the stupid guy. A year ago that he first called me "doll". I laughed in my head, remembering how much I used to despise that name, how much I used to despise him. It's funny to me that in just a couple of months, I started to fall in love with the guy.

I remember that stupid smirk of his when I bet that I could cause lots of trouble, that I wasn't just another soc. Sometimes I still wondered if he thought of me as a soc anymore. I really didn't care much for my title anymore though, whether I was a soc or a greaser. All I cared for was that I was with Dallas, officially or unofficially.