Chapter 72 - One beer

"Sorry about earlier, with that Cherry girl." Dallas apologized. I laughed to myself with happiness. "It's alright. Just don't do it again." I responded as I shrugged. He nodded his head.

"Ya wanna grab a beer at Bucks?" He asked as he sat up, my head falling off his shoulder. "Why not." I responded. "But only one beer, then I have to go home. Don't wanna scare Darry again." I continued as we both stood up from our seating positions. He chuckled. "One beer." He promised as we started heading in the direction of Buck's.

Dallas grabbed my hand and intertwined it with his. I smiled as we walked hand in hand down the road. The sound of the dirt grinding beneath our feet echoed throughout the silent, cold night. We bumped shoulders as we neared Bucks, the scent of beer getting stronger and stronger as we went on. I put my free hand close to my face, admiring and spinning the ring around. I heard Dallas laugh as he watched me.

"Like the ring doll?" He asked with a smile on his face. I looked up to him with a grin. "I love it." I responded. I looked back down to the ring as he continued to chuckle. I sighed of happiness as I set my hand to my side. I took in the chilly air of the night and felt refreshed.

I still couldn't comprehend the fact that I was with Dallas, officially. I was so happy I could do a flip off a car, like Steve, or holler into the night, like Two-Bit, or smile forever, like Soda. Jump up and down with excitement, like Pony, put on a rare grin, like Johnny, and laugh and giggle, like Matilda and Darry. Or perhaps I could run around the town recklessly, stealing everything from every store on the block, fighting socs in alleyways, drinking and partying like there's no tomorrow, all while feeling the adrenaline flowing through my body. Just like Dally.

~

The scent of booze and tobacco encased us as we went through the squeaky door of Bucks. The red light washed over the room and "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks, played loudly throughout the building. Dallas bit his bottom lip as he looked around the room full of people, looking for an opening at the bar. He spotted one and quickly let go of my hand and moved his to the small of my back. He led me to two empty seats at the bar and we sat down.

"Two beers." Dallas demanded as Buck walked over hurriedly. "Got it." Buck responded as nodded his head. "Gonna spend the night again y/n?" Buck asked as he threw a towel over his shoulder. "Nah." I answered, placing my head to the palm of my hand. He nodded his head with understanding as he rushed off to get our beers.

"Thanks Dal." I mentioned as I looked over to him, tapping my knuckles against the rough wood of the counter. "I'm always up for a drink doll. Always." He stated. I smiled at him as I put my chin back to my palms. I talked and joked around with Dallas as we waited patiently for our drinks to arrive.

"Here ya go." Buck rushed over, sliding us our drinks then quickly heading back down the bar to tend to other customers. I popped off the cap of the bottle and immediately tipped it to my mouth. I chugged about 1/4 of the beer before slamming it down on the counter. I swished it around in my mouth and tasted the bitter flavor which I had enjoyed. I swallowed it and felt the burning sensation flow down my throat.

"Damn, slow down doll." Dallas said with laughter in his voice. I playfully rolled my eyes at him as I shook my head. "You're a real dick Dallas." I stated as I took another swig of beer. "Hey! I thought you loved me!" He yelled over the music. I laughed. "Not anymore!" I joked. He chuckled. "That's real funny." He said sarcastically as he took another sip of beer. I smiled.

"Hey lovebirds!" Our heads jerked around as we looked to Buck who was standing by the jukebox. The room went silent as everyone stared to him. He hit a letter and number on the jukebox. I waited patiently for the song to start, I leaned in with curiosity. Soon enough, "Cant Help Falling In Love" by Elvis Presley, began playing. A giant smile grew across my face, each corner of my lips nearly touched my eyes.

"Come on." Dallas said quietly as he grabbed my hand. "Wait..." I trailed off. "Are you asking me to dance?" I asked happily as he led me to the middle of the room. "Mhm." He answered as he put my hands around his neck and put his hands to my waist. "What'd you do with the real Dally?" I asked jokingly. He laughed as he smiled widely. He stayed silent as he led our feet back and forth. I focused on my feet as we swayed to the song.

"Ya know..." He trailed off. I looked up to him. "This is the song we danced to before we had our first kiss." He continued, not taking his eyes off his feet. "Oh yeah? When was that?" I asked, trying to sound clueless. Johnny had told me about that night, when I was drunk and I kissed Dally out of the blue. I knew what happened, but I felt the need to hear it from Dallas.

"You were probably too drunk to remember." He mentioned with a laugh. "But when this song came on the radio you got real excited. I don't think I had ever seen someone who smiled and jumped up and down so much." He chuckled. "You dragged me off the couch and made me dance with you, and right when the song ended, you kissed me." He said casually. I smiled and laughed. I loved when Dallas talked to me like that, not teasing me, but talking to me.

"It's funny because I never knew that I liked you so much, l never knew I loved ya." He stated. "I've never really been in love with a girl." He smiled. I hid my blush as I looked done to my feet. "I've never loved a boy either." I mentioned as the song came close to ending. "While there's a first time for everything I guess." He said as the song ended. I looked to him as he looked down to me, both of us with large grins.

"Can I kiss you again?" I asked as I ran my fingers through his dark brown hair. "Yes." He said with a chuckle. I immediately pulled him into a tender kiss. We took breaths every few seconds as we continued to kiss. "Get a room!" Someone yelled. We only laughed as we pulled away from each other for a split second, then went back to kissing. God I loved Dallas.