Chapter 29 - Wind

The next day played out as usual. I got up at a reasonable time and got ready, almost tripped down the stairs, and Matilda drove me to school. The school day was long and boring, as usual I did good in all of my classes. I did my best not to get into detention again and saw Pony in between classes. We had fun talking and laughing together. Occasionally I saw Two-Bit in the halls and joked around with him too.

In art class I was assigned a project due the next week, I had to partner up with someone, which I hated doing. I liked the creative freedom I had when I was on my own, however whenever I have to partner up with someone, that freedom is taken away from me.

After everyone sprinted to their friends and partnered up, me and another student were the only ones left and I was forced to be with him. He seemed like me, shy, not wanting to partner up with anyone. I assumed that's why he wasn't with anyone at the time. He looked like your average soc, he had on colorful madras and his brown hair was parted to the side.

I got up from my desk and approached him. He had been sketching. It looked to be a landscape, it had mountains, trees, and a lake. Next to the lake was a small cabin and dock. The drawing looked pretty good. "Hi, I'm Y/n." I introduced myself. He looked up to me. "I-I'm James." He stuttered. I put out my hand with the intention to shake his. He quickly glanced at my hand but didn't do anything. I quickly brought it back to my side awkwardly.

"What are ya drawing?" I asked, trying to break the awkwardness. "Oh, a landscape." He said shyly. "I like it, it's pretty." I mentioned. He looked up to me with a surprised look on his face. "Really?" He asked. "Yeah, it's cool." I stated. "T-thanks." He stuttered. I nodded my head. "I guess we have to be partners." I said. He looked around the room. Everyone had already been working on things. "Oh." He spoke. "I don't like being partnered up either if thats what you were bothered by." I said. He nodded his head. "Should we start?" I asked. "Yeah." He said quietly.

For the rest of the class we started up our project. We didn't talk much, other than asking for things like a paint brush or pencil. The project was to combine two art styles into one painting or drawing, it was fairly easy to do.

After art class me and James made plans to meet up the following day to work on the project. Then I went on with my normal school day.

After the school day was over I headed over to the entrance to leave. "Wait up!" A familiar voice yelled behind me. I looked over my shoulder. It was Ponyboy and Two-Bit. They ran up to my side. "Hey guys." I greeted them. "Are you still coming over tonight?" Pony asked. "Of course." I said. He nodded his head as we walked out the entrance and down the stairs. Matilda was waiting for me in her car outside the school.

"Hey guys!" Matilda yelled from the car. "Hi!" Two-Bit and Pony yelled. We walked over to the side of the car. "How are you guys doing?" Matilda asked. "Good." Pony and Two-Bit answered at the same time.

"Nice car." Two-Bit said admiring the car. Her car was a shiny light blue corvette with tan leather seats inside. "Thanks." Matilda said. Suddenly Matilda's eyes lit up with excitement, I knew she had something in mind. "Wanna take a ride?" She asked excitedly. Two-Bit and Pony's eyes lit up. "Yeah!" They yelled excitedly. I giggled at how loud they were. Man were they excited. "Alright, get in." Matilda said. Two-Bit threw himself over the door and into the car. Pony swung the door open and scooted towards Two-Bit. Since the car only had one bench in the front it was a bit squishy but we made it work. Matilda quickly sped up and we drove off.

"Whooo!" Two-Bit screamed while throwing his hands up. I giggled at him. Pony was smiling the whole time we were in the car. Me and Matilda giggled the whole time because of how excited they both were. Man were they fun. They always seemed so happy, I loved that about them.

"Want some music?" Matilda asked, turning towards us. "Yeah." We all said. She moved her hand to the radio and turned the nob to a channel. After a little bit Jailhouse Rock by Elvis Presley came on. I smiled, it was one of my favorite songs. We all started loudly singing the song together. I threw my hands up in the air and felt the breeze blow through my fingers and my hair flew in the wind. I felt really happy.