Chapter 23 - Milkshakes

Soon enough the waitress came back over to our table. "Here's y'alls milkshakes." She politely said as she set down the milkshakes. The milkshake was a light brown color, it had whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, and a cherry on top. It looked delicious. "Thank you." I said, smiling, before I took a sip of my milkshake. It tasted really good. "Thanks." Ponyboy said to the waitress. Dallas nodded his head as he took a sip of his milkshake. "You're welcome." The waitress said as she walked off. She sure was a nice waitress.

The milkshake tasted really good, unlike any other I had before. This one was simple, nothing much to it. Many milkshakes I would get were fancy and extravagant. I liked how different it was from the ones I had before.

"These are really good." I stated before I slurped up my milkshake. Pony chuckled. "You really like chocolate huh?" Pony asked. I turned towards him. "Who the hell doesn't?" I questioned him. He shrugged as he laughed.

"Is your vanilla shake good?" I turned to Ponyboy. "Yeah." Ponyboy said as he took another sip of his shake. I nodded my head. Dallas wasn't drinking his shake. I kept eyeing it. "I'm glad you made me skip school." Pony stated. "Thank Dallas." I said looking towards Dallas. "Thanks Dallas." Pony said. "Yep." Dallas said as he brought his cigarette to his mouth.

After a little bit of drinking my shake I finished it off. "You finished that real quick." Pony said. I nodded my head. "You gonna finish yours Dallas?" I asked as I turned towards Dallas. I eyed his shake. "I don't know." He said. I smiled at him and quickly reached over to his side of the table and grabbed his milkshake. "Hey!" He yelled. I ignored him and started drinking his milkshake. He rolled his eyes at me as I smiled at him. Ponyboy chuckled.

After a little while I finished off most of Dallas's shake. I left a little bit for him at the bottom. "Here, I left some for you." I said as I slid over his shake. He rolled his eyes at me as he quickly snatched the glass. He slurped up all of it in a second. He set down the glass, annoyed, and went back to smoking.

"You're such a baby." I joked. Pony chuckled. "Shut up, I ain't no baby." Dallas denied. I giggled. "I'll get you another shake." I said as I smiled at him. "Fine." He said, annoyed. "Pony do you wanna come with me?" I asked, looking towards Ponyboy. "Sure." He said. We both scooted out of the booth.

"You and Dally seem to be getting along." Ponyboy said as we walked towards the bar. "What do you mean? Didn't you see us a minute ago?" I asked, confused. "Yeah." Pony said. "He hates me." I said. That's at least what I had thought. From the day we met he would always tease or make fun of me. He was a real dick, and I mean it.

"He acts like that around everyone. But he seems to treat you a little differently." Pony stated as we arrived at the bar. "What do you mean?" I questioned him. "If me or anyone else woulda said that to him he would beat our heads into the ground." He said. "It's probably just because I'm a girl or something." I stated. "Dally doesn't hesitate against no one, not even girls." Ponyboy said. "Really?" I asked, leaning against the counter. "Yeah, he's different around you." He stated.

I thought for a moment. Dallas Winston, I hated him and he hated me. Right? Why would he act "different" around me anyways? It's not like I've known him long, it's not like we're best friends. Two and a half days I'd known him. I decided to put it off after a bit and not think about it to much. If I had thought any longer it would've made me go crazy.

"You sure?" I questioned Ponyboy. He nodded his head. "Weird..." I trailed off. I shrugged it off as one of the waitresses came up to us. She looked to be in her mid thirties. She had stringy brown hair tucked behind her ear and droopy light brown eyes. She must've been tired "You two need something?" She asked. She sounded tired. "Just a chocolate milkshake." I said. "Alright, I'll get that right away." She said as she slugged over to make the milkshake.

Me and Pony talked until she came back. "Here's your milkshake." She said as she handed me the glass. "Thank you." I said as handed her money. She nodded her head as she took the money.

Both me and Pony walked back over to the booth and scooted in. "Here." I said, sliding the glass over to Dallas. He took a couple of sips then slid it back over to me. "You can have the rest, it tastes like crap anyways." Dallas said. I rolled my eyes at him and drank the rest of the shake. "Your a real dick ya know." I stated. He chuckled. "I know." He said bringing his cigarette to his mouth. He took a drag and blew a puff of smoke in my face. I rolled my eyes at him as he leaned back against the chair.

After I finished the shake we all sat in silence. "What do you wanna do now?" I asked, breaking the silence. Dallas shrugged. "Ya wanna get Johnny to join us? I'm sure he's not doing nothin right now." Ponyboy suggested. "That'd be fun." I said as I turned to Ponyboy. If we did I'm sure I'd get to know Johnny better, maybe we'll even become friends. That'd be real nice. I looked across the booth to Dallas. "What do you think Dallas?" I asked him. "Sounds good." He said bringing the cigarette to his mouth. I nodded.

I grabbed some money from my skirt and set it down on the table as we all scooted out. We walked through the diner and out the door. People were staring at me as we passed by. I'm guessing it's because I was a soc or something.