(48)

The cloak drapes over my shoulders, concealing me in the shadows as Dahlia and I navigate the grim streets of Eldritch. The desolation around us is a harsh reality that mirrors the reputation this land carries.

Poverty clings to the very fabric of life here, like a relentless curse. The decaying buildings lean precariously over the cobblestone streets, their walls bearing the scars of time and abandonment.

Sickness festers among the denizens, their feeble bodies betraying the hardships they endure. The air itself is thick with despair, a putrid stench of rotting beasts pervading nearly every corner along with human remains.

Dahlia walks silently beside me, her eyes taking in the same abysmal panorama. Merchants, their wagons laden with goods, pass by us, their eyes guarded as they navigate these treacherous roads.

They have extra muscle with them, no doubt to deal with any troubles they encounter. Our cloaks allow us to blend in with the destitute masses, but we also catch glimpses of the sheer amount of merchants and mercenaries passing through.

Large groups traverse this treacherous terrain, opting for Eldritch as a cheaper, albeit perilous, route compared to neighbouring countries. The sight of these travellers tells me that Eldritch may be a land of opportunity, but it's one fraught with danger.

I spare a glance at Dahlia, my voice hushed as I comment, "There's a surprising amount of commerce that passes through this land. It's seems Eldritch's reputation doesn't deter them."

Dahlia nods, her expression thoughtful. "Desperation can drive people to risk much. If the rewards outweigh the dangers, they'll tread where others fear to venture. Besides, there's more profit heading through this route." We continue our exploration, our footsteps echoing on the pathetically built streets.

The reality of Eldritch surrounds us, with the lifeless bodies of both humans and animals littering the ground, a testament to the unforgiving nature of this land. I knew it was bad, but it's entirely different seeing it with your own eyes.

The rotting stench in the air is a haunting reminder of the countless struggles faced by those who call this place home. If you can even call these people residents of the land. It's either they're mercenaries and temporary, or they're going to die if they aren't dead already.

As we tread deeper, it becomes clear that the challenges I have to deal with are immense.

"What exactly did the official letter claim when you were granted permission to become the monarch of this land?" The question she raises about the acquisition gives me a momentary respite from the surroundings.

"It claimed that Eldritch was being granted to me, by the empire, without even requiring permission of the Emperor." I reply, my voice low and steady. "The Emperor and Ministry of Land were practically so desperate to rid themselves of this burden. This country had been without a ruler for so long that they were willing to offer it at a fraction of its worth."

Although right now, it has no worth.

Dahlia nods in understanding. "So, in essence, you've acquired this country with minimal effort?"

I offer a wry smile. "Indeed, it wasn't difficult at all. Eldritch had become a land forgotten by the empire, a place of neglect and despair. To the Ministry, getting someone to take it off their hands was a relief."

She considers this for a moment before another question forms on her lips. "What about taxes? Now that you're the queen, do you have to pay the empire taxes on this land?"

I shake my head, my smile turning slightly mischievous. "Actually, the emperor has decided to keep it tax-free, at least for the time being. It's an incentive to encourage buyers, since the country wasn't paying taxes anyway. So, it appears I've acquired a realm without the burden. There was a clause that any buyer would not be requested or needed to pay to the empire unless they wish to."