(34)

As I slowly awaken, I find myself in a new and unfamiliar environment. Blinking my eyes to adjust to the soft morning light, I realize that I'm in a different bed, in a place that is not my own. Then, the memories from last night flood back into my consciousness.

Dahlia had invited me to stay over for the night, and I must be in the Alfonse household. A sense of gratitude warms my heart as I remember her kind gesture. It's not the first time Dahlia has opened her home to me, but each time she does, I'm really thankful for it.

As I sit up, I take a moment to appreciate the beauty of the room. It's elegantly decorated, reflecting the Alfonse family's status and taste. Everything exudes a sense of luxury and comfort.

I can't help but feel a mixture of slight surprise and gratitude. It's a rare occurrence for nobles to allow one another to stay in their estates, especially overnight.

The room feels a bit chilly, but I'm wrapped in the soft blankets and take a moment to reflect on the events of the previous day. Dahlia's invitation to stay over was unexpected.

"You should the night." There's a mischievous glint in her eyes, and a devious smile creeps across her face. I can't help but chuckle at her suggestion, finding myself becoming acquainted with her playful nature all too well.

"You planned this, didn't you?" I say with a teasing grin, raising an eyebrow at her. "You purposely made me stay late so that I'd be more inclined to spend the night."

Dahlia's quiet smile is confirmation enough. She lets out a soft laugh, and her eyes twinkle with amusement. Her eyes are bright, and the golden shimmers of her hair make them stand out all the more. "Maybe I did," she admits with a playful shrug. "But can you blame me? I enjoy your company, and besides, it's not like you're in a rush to leave either."

I shake my head, still amused by her antics. "Fair enough," I reply, playfully surrendering to her charm. "I can't argue with that logic. Your company is quite enjoyable as well. Besides-" I shrug. "-a lady such as myself should never travel in the darkness of night."

She blinks for a moment, before she plays along. "Agreed. You could get hurt so easily."

As I settle in for the night in the warm room, I feel a sense of contentment wash over me. There's something comforting about being in Dahlia's home, surrounded by her warmth and hospitality. It's a far cry from the formality and rigidness that often characterises my household.

Nothing is expected of me there but it is still stifling.

I hear soft footsteps outside the room, and the door opens to reveal Dahlia, a warm smile on her face. "Good morning, Nirvana." she greets me cheerfully. "I hope you slept well."

I return her expression and nod. "Yes, thank you. This room is lovely, and your hospitality is always appreciated." I busy my hands, pulling my locks of hair to one side of my shoulder, the strands slipping almost immediately.

Dahlia pulls up a chair and sits beside the bed. "You're welcome anytime, you know that," she says, her sincerity evident. "It's always a pleasure to have you here."

There is a silent meaning to her words. She doesn't say them out loud, merely hints to them. 'You can stay with me as long as you'd like.'

I hum.

"Ah." Her eyes spark. "Before I forget and leave you to get ready-" she pats the dress she happened to be carrying in her arms on the edge of the bed. I barely noticed what it was, not interested enough to ask her about it. "-my mother and father ask that you dine with us today."

I pause as I look away from the garments. "The duke and duchess?"

"You'll have to blame my father." Her lips twitch. "Apparently he thought I was an antisocial girl up until he saw you and Lady Regina." There's an amused shine in her eyes and her smile at this point is full blown. "Suffice to say he had my mother intrigued enough that she..." she scratches her cheek and I'm sure I see a flush on her cheeks as her eyes dart away.