(5)

The night we return, I think someone is going to come to my palace

The night we return, I think someone is going to come to my palace. Just to check up on me, confirm i've returned. It's not that i necessarily have any hope in my supposed family, but i did expect some sort of reaction to coming back after being kidnapped.

I find myself mistaken.

More than a week passes with no mentions of anyone. I suppose there's the argument that no one is there to tell me, but it's hardly a plausible excuse or reasoning.

My wounds have healed, but they leave behind scars I don't find myself appreciating. I've never been one to like imperfection, and whilst I do know it was out of my control, I find myself thinking I need to find a way to get rid of them.

I like my beauty.

Serene sits beside me on a bench in my barren garden outside. Her own wounds have healed as well, and she's able to walk and do as she pleases without needing a hand to stand. I thought she would leave once she had the strength, but it seems she's made up her mind to stay out here.

Not wanting her to be recognised incase someone randomly enters, I gave her a mask that covers most of her face. There's a thin veil on the eyes, and light as it may be, it hides the ruby red shade that makes her so easily identifiable.

It was tucked into a crevice of Nirvana's belongings.

She sits beside me quietly, enjoying the silence except for the sharp winds. "What are you going to do now?" She suddenly asks.

I glance at her. "You've been explaining to me how this world works." She was shocked when I told her that not only is this not my body, but even more so when I informed her I'm not from this world. "But you didn't need to tell me about what sort of life Nirvana was living."

She thinks I'm chastising her. "I'm sorry I don't know much about Nirvana... you."

"I don't mean it in such a way." I explain. "Merely that it's a known fact how powerless I am right now."

"What? Powerless?" She gapes at me. "My lady, I've seen you achieve a feat most knights would not survive. Injured and with only a blade for a weapon! I hardly call that powerless..."

"Strength, whilst useful, will not open every door for you." I explain the flaw of her words. "Right now, Nirvana..." I pause and correct myself. "I have none of the benefits I should. No wealth beyond what is granted to me by the Sinclair family. No maids or servants to show my heritage and noble status. No knights to be of use to me. I am not involved in any social circles. I lack connections within nobility. What I do have, all relies on my weak link to the arch Duke of Sinclair."

Scraps given to me out of pity, if my memories are right.

Something that could so easily be taken away.

Then I would truly have nothing.

Serene watches me with wide set eyes. "So.. what are you going to do?"