(38)

I sit on the edge of the immense bed in the room Solaris resides in. It's luxurious and large, and definitely not what she imagined judging by her face the day I gave it to her.

It exudes an air of grandeur, with its intricately carved wooden furniture and gilded accents that catch the soft sunlight streaming through the lace curtains. The chandelier overhead sparkles like a thousand stars, casting a warm glow over everything.

She's recently been adding more and more touches.

From the daffodils in a glass vase by her bed.

To the furry pink slippers she wears when she wakes up.

As I glance around, thoughts of transforming this lavish space into one fully fit for her, start to take shape in my mind. I envision pastel colors adorning the walls, playful toys scattered across the floor, and a cozy canopy above the bed. Solaris would adore it, I'm sure.

But then a pang of reality hits me. We won't be here for long. Our family's circumstances are shifting, and this estate, with all its wealth and affluence, will soon be a memory. A bittersweet smile forms on my lips as I realize that creating a childlike haven for Solaris might be futile.

At least, not at the Sinclair estate. I don't wish for her to get attached only for me to take it all away. The best I can do is wait till we are settled somewhere, a place I am certain can all be hers.

Just as I'm lost in my thoughts, Solaris stirs beside me. Her innocent eyes flutter open, and she looks up at me with a mixture of curiosity and wonder. She's slightly dazed at first, but she seems to realise just as quickly that I'm sitting right next to her.

She quickly sits up.

I reach out with the intention of caressing her hair, but suddenly stop. She's not entirely comfortable with others. As much as I understand and acknowledge that it'll take time for her to feel better and more confident around others, I find it upsetting to know she must go through this to begin with.

I pause when she stares at me for a moment, before leaning into my hand that's still hovering in the air. There's a momentary pause, as if she's waiting to see how I'll proceed. I don't wait too long, not wanting her to feel conscious for this sudden leeway that she's given me.

I tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear, a tender smile on my lips. As we sit together on the edge of this extravagant bed, I silently promise to make every moment count, whether we're surrounded by luxury or facing the unknown.

"Did you have a nice sleep?" I ask with a gentle smile, breaking the silence that envelopes us. Solaris' cheeks turn a delicate shade of pink, as if she's just realized that I've been watching her.

It's a beautiful contrast to the icy colour of her hair and her large, diamond like eyes. She stammers slightly, her words stumbling over each other, "Y-yes. It was a good sleep."

I chuckle softly at her bashful response, finding comfort in her innocence. But just then, a low rumble emanates from her stomach, betraying her attempt to keep her hunger hidden. Her eyes widen in embarrassment, and I can't help but let out a small laugh.

"It sounds like someone's hungry," I tease, my affection for her bubbling to the surface. "Shall we go find something to eat, Hmm?"

Solaris nods eagerly, her pink cheeks now a show of both her sleepiness and her hunger. She's about to get out of her bed before I reach for her. Before she can even react to the sudden motion, I have her in my arms.

I gently lift her from the bed, her light weight in my arms reminding me of just how precious and delicate she is. With her warm body held against my chest, we make our way towards the promise of a shared breakfast, leaving behind the opulence of the room for a simple yet meaningful moment of togetherness.