Chapter 30

(In case anyone missed it, here's the spin-off for brown wolf: https://www.wattpad.com/1374254738-adrift-mxm-coming-soon-chapter-1/page/3 This story will likely take over Alpha to Omega very soon.)

He was getting tired of having that other wolf around. 

The pup, he didn't mind, but the alpha stalking about constantly? And around his master? He was just beginning to lose himself to his frustrated mind when he felt familiar lips press against his cheek, snapping him back to himself right away. 

"Would you like me to remove him from our home? I have no issue ordering his dismissal, as his injuries have mostly healed and his pup is recovering well, too," Vrasje said as he moved his lowered his free arm to wrap around Marquise's waist gently but firmly. 

They were at a function held by one of the other local higher-ranking vampires, and while it wasn't really interesting to him, Vrasje was at least keeping most of the overly excited crowd at bay.  

Thankfully, it was clear that there would be no chance for a love interest heir anymore, so now most of the crowd were reconsidering how to go about getting into his favor. 

"I honestly feel like going to find the most underwhelming homeless child that's old enough to change and giving them the option as opposed to all of these annoying vultures," he said without bothering to lower his voice any. 

Unsurprisingly, Vrasje simply laughed before turning his beautiful smile towards him. 

"Whomever you pick, no matter their status, will be treated with the utmost respect and be spoiled rotten by a certain elder vampire," he said, making Marquise shake is head. 

"So, what are your thoughts on everyone in this room? Anyone good enough?" he asked, half-joking. 

Vrasje, however, didn't seem to catch the jest as he spared the gathered gawking gaggle the briefest of glances, then returned his gaze to Marquise. 

"No. None." 

"E-excuse me, lord Marquise?" 

Hearing the odd title, Marquise and his vampire turned their attention toward someone they truly hadn't expected. 

A little old granny? 

The woman had clearly tried to dress up, as the evening's event was meant to be impressive, but poverty was clear in her clean but old garment, thin frame, and sunken eyes. 

"Yes ma'am? How can I help you?" he asked, putting on an honest smile as he leaned a little closer so the poor woman didn't have to shout over the boisterous crowd. 

They both knew what she was likely to request, but it never hurt to hear out an honest person. Especially one that wasn't throwing herself at them or gossiping from afar like many of the others did. 

"You must get similar requests quite often, but could I trouble you for a spot of tea at my humble home? You see, my grandson is quite fascinated with werewolves and begged me for days to try and simply bring him along to meet you. I feel that his enthusiasm would have been a bit too much for this kind of gathering, though," the lady said, clutching her little purse with both knobby hands as she looked humbly up at them.

Marquise tilted his head as he looked at Vrasje. The man seemed to be contemplating the request rather seriously. 

"Is he not well?" he eventually asked, clearly wanting to weed out if the woman was just trying to trick them into going to her home. 

The lady quickly shook her head. 

"Oh no, my lords. He is in perfect health! I even told him to weed the garden while I'm gone since he wanted stew for dinner tomorrow evening," she said, her eyes lighting up with love as she spoke of her grandson.