Chapter 16

Marquise stood as still as possible, but things were getting a tad ridiculous. He'd been woken up at the ungodly hour of seven A.M., but he couldn't just get up and get dressed, then grab a bite to eat before leaving. Nope, they were still stuck on the getting dressed part. Evidently Taru had bought him quite a lot of new clothing yesterday, and the two big bags that he'd brought into the meeting room the other evening had been just a sample of what was waiting for Marquise back in his room.

He'd glanced through them briefly last night, but the need for sleep easily won out, which left him with his current dilemma.

"He should wear dark colors, I don't want people thinking that they can pick on him because he's a werewolf," Vrasje said as he held up a black silk shirt.

Taru, on the other hand, didn't look impressed in the least.

"No one is going to make fun of my heir. He's handsome and smart. How can anyone not like him?" Taru said as he picked up the discarded pink shirt he'd tried on ten minutes ago.

He honestly wanted to make Taru happy and just put the pink one on, but at the same time, he could understand what Vrasje was saying. There was no way people weren't going to try and take a swing at him... or worse. He'd already had two servants go for his throat, so to speak, and Taru's peacock hadn't been very happy with him, either, though he hadn't had the balls to do much more than squawk about it.

Glancing at the growing stack of clothing on his now-cluttered bed, Marquise sifted through the items for a minute before pulling out one of the first things he'd tried on.

"I want to wear this one. Is it okay, master Taru?" he asked as he held up a navy blue long-sleeved dress shirt.

Vrasje quickly nodded his agreement as Taru pursed his lips, but then seemed to give in with a quiet sigh.

"Alright, that one did look really good on you, so that's fine," he said with a small smile.

Marquise quickly pulled the shirt on, then grabbed one of the three long-coats Taru had gotten him earlier. They were the one thing he'd hung up immediately before bed.

Now, he slipped his arms through the soft black leather and tugged the coat satisfyingly over his shoulders. It fit perfectly and hung down to just below his knees.

"Um... I got a few other things that you might be interested in. If not, I'll just return them, but I wanted to give you the option to at least check them out," Taru said as he reached into the last bag, which was much smaller than the rest.

When he pulled out a black eyepatch and matching leather gloves, Marquise couldn't help smiling widely. He quickly stepped forward and took the eyepatch. Since Taru had redone his bandages before he'd gone to sleep, he simply lifted the item up and settled the band around his head before pulling the patch into place.

Once that was done, he accepted the gloves and eagerly pulled the right one on first. He wasn't embarrassed by the rot covering parts of his body, but he knew that it would already be a main focus, so he didn't want to give anyone too much to look at.

My face is already bad enough. That's plenty to look at, he thought to himself as he flexed his fingers in his new pair of gloves. Even with his minimal sense of feeling in his right hand, they still moved relatively well. There was no stiffness in the materials.

"They're perfect. Thank you for the gifts, master," he said as he reached over and tugged Taru into his arms for a hug.

Taru returned it with a big smile that showed some adorable dimples.

"You look fantastic, and you'll do very well today, I promise. The signing is nothing big, and then we'll head back home for a welcoming party and introduction get-together," Taru said as he took Marquise's hand and finally began leading him out of his bedroom.