Chapter 20

The music stopped. 

Actually, not only had the music stopped, but the talking, dancing, and general revelry, had all fallen silent when he finally stepped into the massive ballroom. 

His heart was hammering hard against his ribs, but he refused to show his nerves as he kept his back straight and calmly walked forward with sure, even strides. His shoulder-length hair lifted gently on an invisible breeze and his cold green eye met the gaze of almost every single person staring at him. 

To his surprise, several of them even averted their eyes when they met his, showing clear signs of being uncomfortable. They were signs of submission, and they went straight to his head as an easy grin slid across his lips and he felt himself calm down a little. 

Of course, Garlic was a whole other story. The poor fella was just about to piss himself, and probably would have if he'd had control of a real body. 

Your vampire is right behind us. He won't let anything happen to you, little one... and neither will I. 

Garlic gave a shrill whine and danced on his paws for several moments, making Marquise inwardly sigh before looking over his shoulder.

See? He's right there. 

Garlic grunted a few times, then whined again before nudging himself forward until he could see through Marquise's eyes. By that time Vrasje had caught up to them and now stood right at his side, looking slightly down at him with a calm yet-stern expression on his face. 

Are you being a good pup, Garlic? 

The little wolf immediately quieted its complaints and settled down, earning a good boy from Vrasje and a slight grin from Marquise. 

You are a good boy. Just rest there and watch how your other half handles all these people. 

The first person who approached them was, of course, his adorably-handsome master. Taru was dressed to a T in a black tuxedo and light purple dress shirt. His hair was also styled a bit. Messy but cute. 

That smile, though, outshines all of his fancy clothing instantly. 

Marquise stood a little straighter and gave his best smile in return. 

"Welcome, sweetheart," Taru said as he reached out and took Marquise's free hand in both of his, then squeezed gently. 

"I'm so glad that you're here. I'm so glad that I could bring you home." 

Damn, his eye was getting a little watery...

"You did well, Taru. I wasn't sure at first, but I am positive now. You couldn't have picked a better heir to continue our line," Vrasje said, his voice loud enough to easily carry across the still-quiet room. 

Those words seemed to be enough to thaw the ice that had previously held everyone silently in place. Soon, whispers started up around them, turning quickly into murmurs, then regular chatting. 

Everyone was talking about him now. Most of it had to do with Vrasje's approval of a werewolf, while some of the other things he caught mentioned Taru no longer being available as a sire, worries about having a werewolf around in general, and, to his surprise, curiosity about when he'd be willing to take an heir!

"I knew they would like you!" Taru said as the band finally started up again, drowning out a lot of the conversations as he was tugged down from the slightly raised area they'd walked in on and led over toward the dance floor. He was definitely not a dancer, and even if he wasn't partially rotten, he had never been good at pretending to be a human in that aspect.