Chapter 8

That's a lot of fruit. 

Sitting at the table by himself, Marquise eyed the large spread of food laid out before him. He had been brought down by Taru the last few days, but the man had been called away to the hospital for an emergency this time, leaving him to dine alone. It still took a bit of effort to stay upright the whole time, but he knew that he could manage it well enough. 

Well, there were two servants present if I need help, but—"Young master Marquise, would you like some assistance?" the young blond servant asked as she suddenly appeared beside him with a smile. 

"Ah, um, I'm okay. Thank you for offering, though," he said quietly as he hurriedly reached forward and grabbed a plum. 

It was a bit too firm, signaling that it wasn't quite ripe... but that was perfect. It would be a little sour. He quickly began to eat as the woman stared at him, a slight frown on her face. After everything that he had faced in the past, he just didn't feel comfortable around others anymore, especially if his new master wasn't present. 

The woman didn't seem to get the hint, or verbal declination, because she quickly turned toward the table and grabbed a few different cut-up fruits before setting them down on his plate. 

Oh? 

Marquise waited for the woman to lean away first, but then he quickly reached toward the slices of grapefruit that now sat on his plate. He worked on them for quite a while before finally finishing everything with a content sigh. 

"Um... master Marquise?" 

This time the speaker was the male servant who had stood back as to not crowd him. 

"Yes?" he responded, trying to sound slightly authoritative... even though his belly was full and he was ready for a nice long nap. 

The servant bowed respectfully, then spoke again. 

"As one of the main servants to lord Taru, I wanted to ask... just out of curiosity..." 

Ah, of course. 

Grinning, Marquise leaned against his chair and nodded. 

"I am, or well, I was a werewolf. My wolf is no longer here, though, so I suppose I'm just a rotten little vampire now," he said with a shrug. 

The servant immediately bowed again, then returned to his position by the wall after giving his thanks for the information. The woman, however, simply stared at him with a curious expression on her face. 

Either way, he didn't want to deal with anymore people for a while. 

I really need to rest some more. 

However, his master still wasn't back to help him get upstairs and neither the porcupine, nor the peacock were present, either. 

I'll just have to do it myself. 

Licking his lips, Marquise carefully got to his unsteady feet using the heavy chair he had been sitting on. The task was reasonable enough, but there was no way he'd be able to walk unassisted. 

"My lord, would you like some assistance?" the male servant asked as he walked a little closer. 

Instead of waiting for him to respond, the woman still standing a bit too close stepped up and abruptly lifted Marquise's arm over her shoulder. 

"Don't worry, Damian, I got him," she said as she quickly began walking away from the table, practically dragging Marquise's frail body with her!

He might have just accepted the uncomfortable help, if the woman had been dragging him in the right direction. As it were, they went right past the stairs and began heading down a long, dark hallway.