Chapter 27

Blood? 

Marquise took in another deep breath just to be sure. 

Someone is definitely bleeding, or has dried blood on them. 

They weren't too far away from their destination, he'd imagine, so it wasn't too surprising to smell such a thing, but he'd thought that Vrasje had ordered no one to attack. 

No one has. Several of the wolves are injured. 

Marquise frowned as he held on a little tighter where he'd wrapped his arms around Vrasje's neck. 

Probably a fight with another pack near the border, he pondered. 

They slowed to a stop a few minutes later and Vrasje carefully set him down on his feet. After a quick stretch Marquise looked across the clearing to the shadowy figures hunkered down in the forest beyond. 

Hello? he thought, projecting the word toward the group of wolves. 

It had been quite a while since he'd talked to his own species in such a way, but it seemed easy enough to pick back up. 

He immediately felt a cautious wave curious whispers swim through his mind, making him smile as his invisible tail swished with excitement. He was just about to begin walking forward when a firm hand grasped his wrist, stopping him before he could take a single step. 

Looking over his shoulder, he wasn't surprised to see his vampire staring at him disapprovingly. 

"I'll be okay. They aren't interested in attacking, just like your men told you. They're really nervous and stressed." 

Vrasje tugged him back against him and settled an arm around his waist. 

"Stressed animals tend to be the most vicious. Did they tell you why they are here?" Vrasje asked, not willing to let him wiggle his way free. 

Holding back a pout, Marquise looked back toward the pack of wolves and was surprised to see a few poking their heads out from the lower vegetation. 

Hello, my name is Marquise and I live in this town. The person beside me is named Vrasje and he's normally a hunter, but he's willing to talk since you guys aren't being aggressive. Is there something specific you came her for?

He waited in silence as the pack considered their words, then, finally, a massive male walked out from behind a large thorn bush. 

Brown? 

He didn't know the wolf's real name, if it even had one, but he'd definitely come to blows with it before. It was obvious right away that the wolf was injured, limping with its back right leg held up, but what took Marquise's attention almost immediately was what he saw between the large wolf's jaws. 

A pup?!

Shoving away Vrasje's arm, Marquise hurried forward with only a slight limp. 

The other alpha paused for a moment to consider the situation, but when it didn't retreat Marquise continued until he was only a few feet away. He then carefully lowered himself into the tall grass, making himself the least imposing he could. 

He normally wouldn't get so close to a wolf he didn't know well, but there were plenty of vampires behind him with silver crossbows pointed toward the pack. They wouldn't dare start being aggressive just because he got a bit closer. 

Alpha Marquise.

There he was. 

"Brown wolf," Marquise said as he bowed his head in greeting.